PDA

View Full Version : lure retriever

Hammy
01-06-2014, 04:17 PM
What are you guys using for a lure retriever?

Hammy

XxthejuicexX
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
an old plug knocker. chunk of lead shaped like a dog with to rings on it. I only use it for crankbaits.

Dakota
01-06-2014, 05:46 PM
https://basspro.scene7.com/is/image/BassPro/950793_44428?$Prod%5FThumbnail$I've used this one for about 5 years. Its great, I only lose about one out of ten. The tough ones to retrieve are when you get caught on other fishing line. They now have one that reals up the rope. Highly recommend. My buddies are also happy when I save them a crankbait. They are about 12.00 or so.

Alphahawk
01-06-2014, 06:19 PM
I bought 3 lure retrievers about 8 years back and lost everyone on first attempt to retrieve each time....LOL. Was fishing below Pickwick dam and trying to retrieve Bandit crank baits. I don't think the rocks below the dam was the place to use those.

Regards

Dakota
01-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Alphahawk good point I'm using mine from the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

white95v6
01-06-2014, 06:51 PM
I have one like Dakota posted a pic of. it was one that had a little reel with it. what a waste of money and time that reel contraption was. we now have it on a spot marker float. a lot more useable and gets most of the crankbaits back. I would think boat use is a must lol.

jaycee
01-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Have you seen the one on the extending telescoping pole?

Hammy
01-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I was thinking about this also:

Saw where a guy made one out of a paint roller frame.

Hammy

tkwalker
01-07-2014, 01:52 AM
Go to your local tackle store buy a dozen or so 3 oz. lead weights ... attach a quick snap ... then attach to your line in distress ... Let it slide and bounce on the bait ... don't give up on it ..keep it vertical ... 95% retrieval rating ... at a rock bottom expense ... <'TK>< :)

txnative
01-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Go to your local tackle store buy a dozen or so 3 oz. lead weights ... attach a quick snap ... then attach to your line in distress ... Let it slide and bounce on the bait ... don't give up on it ..keep it vertical ... 95% retrieval rating ... at a rock bottom expense ... <'TK>< :)

Hook 1 has these exact ones in 3-packs or singles. Not too sure on price, but I believe they're 3-4 bucks for the 3-pack.

Chris Bryant

tacklemake
01-07-2014, 08:29 AM
I have the pole type and that's another joke especially in the wind and if you get one glue the end on before you use it because the end will come off on the first try...................woody

Hammy
01-07-2014, 08:38 AM
This site is great for all the experience and ideas shared. Both good and bad.

Hammy

TNBronzeback
01-07-2014, 09:39 AM
I have the pole type and that's another joke especially in the wind and if you get one glue the end on before you use it because the end will come off on the first try...................woody

oh that would REALLY tick me off, get a $5-$6 crankbait stuck, bust out the lure retriever only to have that break on you as well...i know myself, and i would throw that pole like a javelin in a fit of rage across the lake! LOL

Reel Tune
01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I use the one like Dakota posted. I took a piece of 1/2 PVC and cut it to about 5" long to make a handle that I wrap the line around. This keeps the line from becoming a tangled mess. It's saved me hundreds in cranks.

nomad60
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Ack! I just recently ordered and got in one of those long telescoping ones from BP, goes from 6 - 18'. Hope it at least lasts a while! I got tired of getting hung up on all the rocks in the Cumberland...

agelesssone
01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
oh that would REALLY tick me off, get a $5-$6 crankbait stuck, bust out the lure retriever only to have that break on you as well...i know myself, and i would throw that pole like a javelin in a fit of rage across the lake! LOL

LOL, know that feeling. I made a heroic hookset into a snag while sauger fishing the other day. So good it was, I snapped the rod in half. Still had to clamp down on the spool, break the line, remove the reel from the rod seat, place it in a storage locker.....then heaved the butt end of the rod as far as I could!

One of you guys might find it since I last saw it floating down the Cumberland River, headed toward H'ville.

tacklemake
01-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Well I didn't I just bought a brass rod the same size ,twisted it and thread it and glue it back on....................woody

gboyce
01-08-2014, 08:41 AM
I also use one like Dakota has that originally had the little white plastic reel that was garbage. So what I did (unlike Merv) is when I broke a rod I added a old reel that i no longer used and put the string on that. It makes it very easy to store and rewind plus the lure retrieving part fits over the rod end so it doesn't bang into every thing. So i guess all said and done it about 19 inches long now and I never have a tangle to worry about :)

Dakota
01-08-2014, 09:13 PM
I also use one like Dakota has that originally had the little white plastic reel that was garbage. So what I did (unlike Merv) is when I broke a rod I added a old reel that i no longer used and put the string on that. It makes it very easy to store and rewind plus the lure retrieving part fits over the rod end so it doesn't bang into every thing. So i guess all said and done it about 19 inches long now and I never have a tangle to worry about :)

That's a good idea. I just wrap the string around this foam handle I have that unwraps easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)