PDA

View Full Version : Gallatin Steam Plant 1-5-14

TNBronzeback
01-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Opting for a shorter drive yesterday, we went to the steam plant in search for some more saugers. Seen a few Yakers up by the barrier and a few other boats but we opted for the main channel break. With such a steep break and that high wind it was HARD to maintain a constant depth but we got fish. landed 8 saugers and kept 5. lost 1 at the boat that went an easy 4 lbs. the bigger fish were short strikers. Like an idiot, i have a perfectly good net at the house that i never remember to grab. I will make sure its in the boat for next time though. Nothing makes me madder than watching dinner swim away due to stupidity. Anyways, lesson learned.
once the rain got close, everybody there took off, we stuck it out. Instead of burning up the trolling motor battery fighting the wind and current, we just drifted and found a bunch of skipjacks and smaller stripers in shallow water. Once the rain set in and the wind died, we motored back up by the barrier and proceeded to beat them fish like they owed us money. Crappie's, big whites, saugers, largemouths and stripers. Pretty good day at the steam plant. I did see a blue bass boat if i remember right, tucked up against the barrier and they were putting a hurt on them fish too, i couldnt tell what they were but they were doing pretty good!
On a side note, i got a Bubba Blade for Christmas and broke it in on these fish, very very good knife so far. I was able to shave that red meat off them stripers. very nice firm filets, im looking forward to giving them a taste!

MNfisher
01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Looks like a good day!!!

agelesssone
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Nice catch there. Guess I'm gonna have to try the GSP one of these days.

jad2t
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Looks like a few tasty meals ahead of you. Well done! I'm planning to head to GSP early Saturday and plan to take a striper or two home as well.

TNBronzeback
01-06-2014, 01:55 PM
yeah it was a good day overall. im not a crowd/elbow to elbow fisherman so i avoid close quarters area's like that so when the last boat left we tossed on the rain gear and hung around. seen alot of big stripers busting skip jacks on top in when the wind died down, but that was downriver from the canal. next time i might bring some heavy duty gear and have something on hand if they decide to show up again like that.

TNBronzeback
01-06-2014, 01:59 PM
does anybody know the guys that row that river boat into the steam plant area and throw flies? ive seen them out there a few times. they were out there yesterday and that poor guy was having a rough go with the oars. once they went around the bend i lost track of em. i guess he managed to row back up against the wind and river.

Alphahawk
01-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Nice mess of fish. A lot of folks laugh at me for carrying an EGO net around whenever I fish. I even have a short handle for it when I am in the kayak. Fishing 2# test means I net them all.....but even fishing larger line I use the net. I don't leave the house without it.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

white95v6
01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
nice job that's a mess of fish.

creekcrappie
01-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Nice mess of fish!

TNBronzeback
01-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Ive got the bug to go again! wont be able to for a few weeks again though.....lol....stupid work and being an adult!

tacklemake
01-07-2014, 09:25 AM
So when is the fish fry?..............woody

nomad60
01-07-2014, 02:26 PM
That's a nice mess of fish you got there, looks like you beat the front.

TNBronzeback
01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks. well we got rained on, but we missed the sleet by about 15 minutes when we got the boat back to the house, or that would have made for a miserable ride back!