PDA

View Full Version : trout magnet line

white95v6
01-05-2014, 02:24 PM
I was thinking about trying their 4lb sos line.

anyone have the good bad and ugly on it?

MNfisher
01-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I really like the 2 lb SOS

Alphahawk
01-05-2014, 02:58 PM
I was thinking about trying their 4lb sos line.

anyone have the good bad and ugly on it?

It's a very good line. Now for full disclosure I am on the TM Pro Staff....but we are not paid nor do we even get our product for free. When I use mono I use SOS line. It is the best all around line...IMHO....for the money. There are many good lines. I used P-Line CX Premium for almost a full year...and for folks that know how much I fish they know I used a lot of it. When NanoFil came out it became my main line. That stuff was made for casting micro light jigs but it has it's drawbacks. When I fish for shell crackers in the moss I use SOS line.....and also when targeting my Smallie waters in spring I use the SOS line. This spring I am going to be casting a lot of SOS Ice Blue in 4# test so I can see the line and catch more crappie. It has enough stretch and strength to allow me to pull a fish all covered in moss to me and will not break as my NanoFil does in those conditions. SOS is also half the price of P Line CX Premium and SOS is 1/9th the cost of NanoFil. I have tried all the high price mono lines and as I said there are many good lines but every line has a drawback or two. So that is why I am using the term "best line for the money". One of the great things about the SOS 4# test is you can get it in the clear....and Ice Blue color. At my age I am beginning to have trouble seeing the lighter lines so that helps a lot. I wish they made the 2# test in Ice Blue. SOS is a soft and limp line...casts good and has great knot strength. It is a copolymer and has stretch....as all mono does. It is much stronger than the rated 4# test. You won't go wrong with it.

Regards

white95v6
01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
i normally use berkely vanish(fluorocarbon) in 6 and 8lb test for most of my fishing. for my bigger rod I have 14lb Berkley trilene XL.

well a few months ago I seen some Berkley trilene 100% fluorocarbon 4lb test on clearance at walmart. so I grabbed a spool. I liked it a lot and went back and bought the last one they had. well its normally kinda expensive soo I looked at TM web-site last night and wondered how it was. I know its not fluorocarbon but not all my fishing calls for the invisible stuff.

Alphahawk
01-05-2014, 05:09 PM
i normally use berkely vanish(fluorocarbon) in 6 and 8lb test for most of my fishing. for my bigger rod I have 14lb Berkley trilene XL.

well a few months ago I seen some Berkley trilene 100% fluorocarbon 4lb test on clearance at walmart. so I grabbed a spool. I liked it a lot and went back and bought the last one they had. well its normally kinda expensive soo I looked at TM web-site last night and wondered how it was. I know its not fluorocarbon but not all my fishing calls for the invisible stuff.

I have used all the above lines you mentioned. I did not ask you what your intended fishing use was for the 4# test SOS. But 4# test SOS is going to be far easier to manage than the Berkley fluro. So what will you be throwing with the 4# test and what is your target fish with the 4# test line? I have tried several times to use pure 2# test fluorocarbon on my UL setup for trout so I don't have to use a fluro leader. But each time that has ended in failure as the line is just too stiff to use micro jigs with. I tried a line named Stroft so as not to use a leader and while it worked great the expense was way too much as often as I had to change it. I also tried the DAM Tectan line but the diameter was so small in 2# test the knot would cut itself. I tried several types of knots...I am sure not all knots but it also was too expensive to keep changing out....plus the 2#test Tectan line has a diameter that is half of most 2# test mono lines......had to retie after every fish or that knot wouldn't hold.

Regards

Regards

white95v6
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
hmm I like the Berkley a lot so far lol. if this sos line is better oh boy I gotta get some lol.

I would be using this 4lb for some TM fishing. but I am not a huge tm user. I just use it when i think its needed. like yesterday for tilapia;). i will be throwing small crankbaits, small jerkbaits, small crappie jigs 1/32 to 1/8th ones and tight lining minnows.

creekcrappie
01-05-2014, 07:48 PM
It is the best 4 lb line I have ever used.

MPD816
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
it is the best 4 lb line i have ever used.

+1.

goreds.king
01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Where do you guys buy SOS? I've never seen it at any local tackle stores (probably there I just wasn't looking for it)?

Hammy
01-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Right here:

https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/Online-ONLY-Specials-c-58.html

Hammy

tcintn
01-09-2014, 07:06 PM
I like Alpha Hawk am on the Pro Staff of T M.I am not paid but get to try new items and make comments concerning them and every now and then I might get a discount on some items to fish with.I also carry a lot of T M products to sample and try to get folks to use. That said,I am a true believer in 2 and 4 lb. SOS line.This is how I bought my SOS line. https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_24&products_id=267

I usually change my line after using it 5 or 6 times.

SAMBOLIE
01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I like Alpha Hawk am on the Pro Staff of T M.I am not paid but get to try new items and make comments concerning them and every now and then I might get a discount on some items to fish with.I also carry a lot of T M products to sample and try to get folks to use. That said,I am a true believer in 2 and 4 lb. SOS line.This is how I bought my SOS line. https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_24&products_id=267

I usually change my line after using it 5 or 6 times.
You should invest in a higher quality line. :)

Alphahawk
01-09-2014, 08:45 PM
You should invest in a higher quality line. :)

I don't care what brand of 2# test you use when you fish a lot you are going to change it out a lot. Thats why I bought a 20,000 yard spool of it.

Regards

tcintn
01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Sambolie,
I just want to change line very often.My preference.That is why I also bought the 20,000 yd spool.It is sort of the same way with retying my jig head after catching 5-6 trout.Again my preference.When I put floro on as leader I usually put a piece around 4-5' in length and this allows me to re tie.
I really like the SOS line.:)

Alphahawk
01-09-2014, 11:15 PM
I think Sambolie was being his humorous self.....I think.....LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SAMBOLIE
01-10-2014, 06:25 AM
Sambolie,
I just want to change line very often.My preference.That is why I also bought the 20,000 yd spool.It is sort of the same way with retying my jig head after catching 5-6 trout.Again my preference.When I put floro on as leader I usually put a piece around 4-5' in length and this allows me to re tie.
I really like the SOS line.:)

I have been guilty of changing line every few fishing trips. Trilene had to put on a 2nd shift. I also took my reels apart and lubed them too often.
After years of that I only replaced the 1st half of the line on the spool. I have a difficult time tying 4lb line (old eyes). Ain't no way I am going to cut off a perfectly good knot and retie every month (4 or 5 fish).

I think Sambolie was being his humorous self.....I think.....LOL.

You caught me Alpha.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

white95v6
01-10-2014, 12:59 PM
well I guess when I use up this line I have I will make a SOS purchase and see how well it does.

but I have to say again I like this Berkley 100% floro triline.

olddognewtrick
01-10-2014, 01:08 PM
After years of that I only replaced the 1st half of the line on the spool. I have a difficult time tying 4lb line (old eyes). Ain't no way I am going to cut off a perfectly good knot and retie every month (4 or 5 fish).

I see you are a professional as I am :)