PDA

View Full Version : tilapia oh my

white95v6
01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
well I was fishing the local tilapia hole yesterday. we caught 104 total a few gills. all but two of them where caught on a TM. my fishing buddy called it a day before I did lol. most of them where in the 8-12 inch range. one was around 2-2.5 lbs a real beast. and two pushed the 1.5-1.75lb range. over all had a blast catching those things.

on a side note I know twra says to killem all lol. but does anyone really think we can hurt the population of them by doing this. with the canal being closed off for what 3 more yrs those tilapia are gonna breed like rabbits. also does anyone know of any semi-large springs dumping into OH lake? just think if a few large schools find those and hang out around them to survive the winter. next thing you know we have tilapia all over OH lake.

just wondering what others thought about this.

Alphahawk
01-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Congrats on your catch! I know that was a lot of fun.

Regards

thehick176
01-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Hey White, was that you that I spoke with out there a few weeks ago? I was in a white/black Triton fishing on the right side of the mouth. I see your out of Tullahoma and that's where the guys said they were from when we were talking

white95v6
01-05-2014, 01:09 PM
it could have been me. then I was posted up on the right in a boat with a brown top line. my buddy lives in da boro.

do you own your own sign company I think it was.

there was two kids on the right of me.

thehick176
01-05-2014, 01:26 PM
No I don't. it was just me in the boat and you were fishing with an older fella from the Boro. The same morning that the yak guys were catching the Rockfish on the barrier. We were talking about yalls trip to Cordell hull

white95v6
01-05-2014, 01:38 PM
yeap I remember you and yes that was me :)

thehick176
01-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Well good deal! I was trying to put a name with a face lol

Halli
01-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Man that's a lot of fish.

I would think with this artic blast coming this week that Only the Gallatin and Cumberland City Tva plants will hold the Talapia over the winter but I recon a large spring could as is should come out around 52 deg.

white95v6
01-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Well good deal! I was trying to put a name with a face lol
yea was good talking to ya. just wish the striped fish had stayed around. we left when the rain showed up.

white95v6
01-05-2014, 02:18 PM
Man that's a lot of fish.

I would think with this artic blast coming this week that Only the Gallatin and Cumberland City Tva plants will hold the Talapia over the winter but I recon a large spring could as is should come out around 52 deg.

the sad part we could have caught a lot more. we just stopped fishing lol.

and I was just trying to think outside the box on where they might be able to survive.

Jim
01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Nice talking with you white95v6. And thanks for pointing out all the bites on my rods :) You guys really did put a hurt on those Tilapia. I was in the boat next to them and it was not stop all day for them.

I didn't fish for tilapia at all, but it was good fishing for me also. I ended up with 31 stripers, 6 catfish, a bunch of drum, a few white bass, and 1 largemouth bass. Probably 20 of those stripers were small and the biggest were 6-7lbs. Fun day and the fish were biting all day. It really kicked in before dark as fish were hitting almost non-stop.

And as for the crowds at the steam plant. After white95v6 and his buddy left, I was the only one there fishing for the afternoon and evening. The wind laid down a bunch and it was a pretty evening.

Good start to 2014,

Jim

Jim
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
One other thing for alphahawk, l gave a pack of trout magnets to a kayaker who was watching white95v6 catch all the tilapia. The TM pack was one of the ones you passed out at the last gathering. Once he moved next to white95v6, he started catching tilapia also.

Probably another TM convert :)

white95v6
01-05-2014, 05:57 PM
it was great meeting and talking to you jim. i had a blast watching your rods bend when each fish grabbed shad and made a run for it lol. glad we didn't mess up your spot to bad when the dang engine would not go into reverse:o. so that evening the striped fished showed up for you good.

also we gave that same guy a few TM bodies. the color jim gave him was not working as well. gave him a few and BAM tilapia on.:D

Hammy
01-05-2014, 09:07 PM
What color TM seemed to work for him?

Hammy

agelesssone
01-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Has any body tried worms for the talapia?

If they are feeding with the bluegills, seems like good old nighcrawlers or redworms should entice them too.

creekcrappie
01-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Never fished for tilapia before. Did you cook any? Merv I saw you on fishin affliction just a few minutes ago.

agelesssone
01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
I don't recall ever being on fishing affliction.

Send me a link.

XxthejuicexX
01-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Merv, we caught Tilapia on Millworms when we fished the steam plant on new years day. I tried using the crappie magnet but think it might be a bit big for most of the tapalia because I could not get a hook up with it. How do you guys fish them, I have tried casting and jigging vertically but they are so light I have a hard time keeping the jig vertical. Do you just let it free fall back to the boat when casting?

creekcrappie
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Facebook friend of the week near the end. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mI_iQcNDXBM

agelesssone
01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Thanks Isaac! I come on at 27:45 of the video.....Facebook friend of the day!

Hammy
01-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Well that's cool.!

Hammy

Transplanted Sportsman
01-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Has any body tried worms for the talapia?

If they are feeding with the bluegills, seems like good old nighcrawlers or redworms should entice them too.

Merv, back home, we used nightcrawlers every now and then, the smaller red worms do a better job at catching these jokers, they normally feed at the bottom or a foot or so above the bottom

Transplanted Sportsman
01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
also we gave that same guy a few TM bodies. the color jim gave him was not working as well. gave him a few and BAM tilapia on.:D[/QUOTE]

good deal neighbor!!, seems like you wore them out really good, that would be one heck of a fish fry!!