PDA

View Full Version : Spider rigging

Heiny57
12-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I am going to give it half a go. 4 to 6 rods as apposed 8 to 10.
Rods are B&M trolling 12' and cheap BPS reels.

Halli
12-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Crappie time!

Haha is that tape holding the transducer? :D

Heiny57
12-29-2013, 08:37 PM
Yes, along with a couple zip ties.

JandSCattleCo
12-30-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm looking to learn it this year. Deer seasons bout over so time to get after the crappie!

I'm running driftmasters and pinnacle limit rods.

Have you spider rigged before?

Heiny57
12-30-2013, 07:13 AM
No, my kids keep telling me my temper might flare with the tangles. LOL

I have done a lot of straight lining with shiners in Fl lakes, it shouldn't be bad with only 4 poles to tend. I am curious as to how people rig hooks, jigs, or the combination there of. I know it is a little early yet but I might try it out Wed. Weather looks good so far.

JandSCattleCo
12-30-2013, 09:53 AM
There is a TON of info here. As agelessone said in another post, a lot of learning from reading here. A lot of good folk here as well.

If you can't find it here there are a bunch of other crappie specific sites as well.

Agelessone gave me a few tips on trolling last year and I thought this is so complicated beforehand. After going with him I was over thinking it. KEep it simple.

Transplanted Sportsman
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I will be giving it a shot mainly to learn the technique ane get out there in the winter time, I have been reading som conflicting info on this topic though, one school of thought is that Crappies go deep during winter and that you have to look for them in the main basin versus the other idea that says that during winter look for Crappies on the shallow dirty water since these locales have warmer water and therefore shad and predators will be there as well, any idea of what of these two scenarios apply for lakes here in TN?? or is it a combination of both?, any advice is welcome!!

Travis C.
12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
To rule out something completely would not do you any favors as they can be anywhere any time but in my experiences chasing crappie this time of year I'd look out by creek channel junctions or around main lake structure in deeper water.

What I do is mark the spots on map where they spawn. Then start there and back trace out via, ditches or secondary creek channels then to creek channel then to main river channel and after that I look for big pieces of structure or bait balls near there. The good thing about doing this on a map is you now have a route to follow all spring long looking for them. They may not move the whole way at once so look for stopping points like timber, rock piles or points to rest/ambush bait and you'll usually find them.

bfish
12-30-2013, 01:14 PM
combo of both. Whites run deeper and Blacks run shallower.

Transplanted Sportsman
12-31-2013, 09:50 AM
thanks for the reply guys, I guess it will be trial and error as it is always the case for me!!:D

Heiny57
12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Yep thanks for the info, I may give it a go tomorrow.