PDA

View Full Version : New Shimano Reel

goreds.king
12-27-2013, 10:57 PM
I bought a new Shimano reel tonight with some Christmas money (Saraha 3000). Shimano is the only spinning/casting reels I have owned. I know they stopped providing extra spools, but I opened the box and there was no oil, schematics, or plastic wrap. Did I get someone else's return or is this typical of Shimano now? If so, it's kind of disappointing.

tkwalker
12-28-2013, 02:15 AM
I bought a new Shimano reel tonight with some Christmas money (Saraha 3000). Shimano is the only spinning/casting reels I have owned. I know they stopped providing extra spools, but I opened the box and there was no oil, schematics, or plastic wrap. Did I get someone else's return or is this typical of Shimano now? If so, it's kind of disappointing.

Yep, somebody shelved a return without checking the contents !! <'TK>< :o

Reel Tune
12-28-2013, 08:01 AM
That's what it sounds like. I haven't bought any Shimano reels in about 9 months, but all of them that I have bought came with papers and oil.

tkwalker
12-28-2013, 04:58 PM
About 15 years ago I bought a B&D Jig Saw for my son for Xmas ... When We opened it ... It was missing a few obvious item And still had saw dust in the blades :eek: <'TK><

Alphahawk
12-28-2013, 10:45 PM
yep, somebody shelved a return without checking the contents !! <'tk>< :o

x2

goreds.king
12-31-2013, 07:11 PM
I took the reel back. Not to exchange it but get the next model up. This time I made sure I got a reel that was "sealed shut".

I was talking to the gentleman behind the counter and we discovered Shimano no longer supplies oil with the reels. Not even on the higher end models (we opened a few to verify).

Reel Tune
12-31-2013, 07:22 PM
What??? That's crazy, do they still include a wrench and schematics?

goreds.king
12-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Schematics and some spare drags. I didn't notice a wrench. A little disappointing. I also bought a Lew's baitcaster to experiment with.

Alphahawk
12-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Schematics and some spare drags. I didn't notice a wrench. A little disappointing. I also bought a Lew's baitcaster to experiment with.

I may be mistaken but I think those are not spare drags but washers to put under you spool to have the line lay on your spool differently. It is set up to lay even but you can put those in different positions to have the line lay concave. I have owned dozens of Shimano reels and changed the lay of the line only once with those washers. I now keep them all set as they come from the factory. Have never known Shimano to have spare drags come with their reels.....but this could be something new. I got my latest one back in October.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

goreds.king
12-31-2013, 11:20 PM
You are correct alphahawk, they are not drags. My mistake.

Alphahawk
12-31-2013, 11:27 PM
You are correct alphahawk, they are not drags. My mistake.

When I got my first Shimano years ago I thought drag shim also....LOL. Then after reading about how to use them I tried it and I had a big mess with my line. I can see in theory how it works for increased casting distance but it didn't pan out for me. Very good reels though.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SAMBOLIE
01-01-2014, 06:27 AM
I took the reel back. Not to exchange it but get the next model up. This time I made sure I got a reel that was "sealed shut".

I was talking to the gentleman behind the counter and we discovered Shimano no longer supplies oil with the reels. Not even on the higher end models (we opened a few to verify).

Get one of these kits:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ardent-reel-kleen-8482-cleaning-kit/pid-608365?N=46883185+4294967093+10001

Cleaner, oil, grease and tools. Better than any oil I ever got with a reel. Just be careful with bait casters. The spool turns so freely you will spool it in a cast.:)

Alphahawk
01-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Get one of these kits:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ardent-reel-kleen-8482-cleaning-kit/pid-608365?N=46883185+4294967093+10001

Cleaner, oil, grease and tools. Better than any oil I ever got with a reel. Just be careful with bait casters. The spool turns so freely you will spool it in a cast.:)

Yeah that's a good kit. Their lubricants are really good....been using them a while now.

Regards