PDA

View Full Version : Mega Crappie

Alphahawk
12-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I got this photo off a facebook page called "Crappie Crazy". I did my research and it is a real pic. Taken from the Missouri Conservationist Magazine back in 2005. I have caught some big crappie...a few at the 17 inch mark....and seen some huge ones taken from those 3 great crappie lakes in Mississippi. But these things are off the charts! Thought some of you might like to see the pic.

Regards

Travis C.
12-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow, I am gonna need some bigger bread to make a sammich with one of those.

XxthejuicexX
12-14-2013, 06:14 PM
what? that is crazy! Where are they catching crappie like that?

agelesssone
12-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Back in 1982, a friend of mine was bragging about crappie he had caught in Mississippi being 22 inches long. Being the forever pessimist, I called him on it. He brought me one the next day (being February in Whiting (northern) Indiana, that measured 22 inches long. Said he had caught 18 the day he caught this one. I was absolutely amazed.

Did he catch record fish and not know it?

Alphahawk
12-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Those fish were caught in a Northern Missouri public lake. The largest was 4.5 pounds. The name of the lake was never revealed.

Regards

Alphahawk
12-14-2013, 07:24 PM
Back in 1982, a friend of mine was bragging about crappie he had caught in Mississippi being 22 inches long. Being the forever pessimist, I called him on it. He brought me one the next day (being February in Whiting (northern) Indiana, that measured 22 inches long. Said he had caught 18 the day he caught this one. I was absolutely amazed.

You don't want to take any bets Merv on those crappie in Mississippi.....LOL. Grenada, Sardis, and Arkabutla Lake regularly produce 3 pound crappie....two pounders being common.....and unless I am mistaken the minimum length on all 3 lakes is 12 inches. I'll make it there one day...God willing. A 19 inch crappie could easily be 4 pounds or over....I can't even fathom a 22 inch crappie and how much it weighed...but they are out there.

Regards

Transplanted Sportsman
12-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Wow!!! now those 16 inchers I caught last month look puny!!

Alphahawk
12-14-2013, 07:35 PM

World record black crappie is 19 inches and white crappie is 21 inches...so yeah maybe.

Regards

Alphahawk
12-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Wow!!! now those 16 inchers I caught last month look puny!!

Yeah I'm with you...don't want to show my crappie pics anymore....LOL. Just did a little research and those fish had to be close to 15 years old to get that big. Can't imagine a crappie going for 15 years and never being caught in these lakes around us but I guess it is possible.

Regards

Fishaholic
12-25-2013, 01:53 AM
Wow, I am gonna need some bigger bread to make a sammich with one of those.
Blackened crappie hoagie with peppers onions and cheese come to mind :D
Those are some monsters no doubt