PDA

View Full Version : Hair jig sources?

TNtransplant08
12-06-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm looking for some rabbit hair jigs for bass fishing but I'm having a hard time finding them. Do any of you know of a location in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area that sells them or a website. Or if any of you make some or know someone that makes them? I'll be more than happy to purchase some if you do.

I'd consider Marabou jigs, but I'd much prefer rabbit hair. It seems the majority of hair jigs I find in stores or websites are made of bucktail. Bucktail jigs do have its uses, especially for imitating baitfish, but I think the rabbit hair is better for a slow moving jig fished on the bottom in the winter. There used to be place I'd buy them back in Door County, Wisconsin, but I haven't really found them here.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you'd prefer. Thanks!
Jamie

Travis C.
12-06-2013, 09:03 AM
http://strikeon.com/

Or

Get some jig heads and stop by a fly shop (bass pro, flysouth, cumberland transit etc). It wouldn't be too hard to wrap the rabbit strips using thread on the jigs yourself if you wanted to take that route. They have usually several colors of Zonker strips:

http://www.basspro.com/Rabbit-Zonker-Strips-Magnum-Cut-Tying-Materials/product/34514/

txnative
12-06-2013, 09:10 AM
If you make your own, use cross-cut zonker strips, or, for a fuller body, magnum cross-cut zonker strips. I prefer the barred pelts in olive and brown.

You can also tie on rubber legs to create a built-in trailer, or use brown chamois cut to resemble a crawfish.

Chris Bryant

SAMBOLIE
12-06-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm looking for some rabbit hair jigs for bass fishing but I'm having a hard time finding them. Do any of you know of a location in the Nashville/Murfreesboro area that sells them or a website. Or if any of you make some or know someone that makes them? I'll be more than happy to purchase some if you do.

I'd consider Marabou jigs, but I'd much prefer rabbit hair. It seems the majority of hair jigs I find in stores or websites are made of bucktail. Bucktail jigs do have its uses, especially for imitating baitfish, but I think the rabbit hair is better for a slow moving jig fished on the bottom in the winter. There used to be place I'd buy them back in Door County, Wisconsin, but I haven't really found them here.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you'd prefer. Thanks!
Jamie

I never heard of rabbit hair jigs. In fact never gave them a thought. Thanks for reminding me that I am not too old to learn.

I bet they are easy to hop along the bottom.:)

TNtransplant08
12-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I'd probably save money if I made my own jigs, considering if you ordered custom made jigs, they cost $3-$4 a pop. If I go that route, I'll have to learn how to tie the hair on the jig, as I've never done that before. I assume its easy to do though. Looks like I'll have to make a run to BPS to check it out. Think one of their staff would be willing to show me how to tie them?

Travis, those soft plastic with the hair imbedded in them looks intriguing though, especially the tube!

TNtransplant08
12-06-2013, 09:54 AM
I never heard of rabbit hair jigs. In fact never gave them a thought. Thanks for reminding me that I am not too old to learn.

I bet they are easy to hop along the bottom.:)

LOL! That's funny Sambolie. But really, the rabbit hair really comes alive with motion with very little action on your part. Even just a little bit of current makes it move wildly when still on the bottom. Drove fish wild when I used it back in Wisconsin in late fall before the ice would cover the lakes. Marabou is very similar, but I personally think rabbit hair works better. But that just may be more of a confidence thing on my part. Plus it imitates a lot of things living on the bottom: crayfish in the 1/4 and 1/8 oz sizes, smaller sizes imitate aquatic insects scurrying along. My theory is that bass on the bottom don't move much in the winter, so they take advantage of aquatic insects more. The hard thing for me has been finding them, especially smallies!