PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear

goreds.king
12-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm thinking about asking for some good rain gear for Christmas. I was curious what everyone else wears and what they think of it.

I've been looking at the Columbia Regen pants and Columbia Watertight jacket. The pants will serve two purposes, one for the rain and the other to wear kayaking during the cold months.

walkersbaitandtackle
12-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Not sure what you are really looking for, but we carry the Coleman Aurora Rainsuit at our store for $14.99. You are welcome to come by and take a look.105 Sanders Ferry Rd,

Travis C.
12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
I really like my Frogg Toggs but rarely ever wear the pants. Fished today and wore my waders and my Togg's jacket never worried about getting wet.

I rely on my jacket more in the winter than in rain anyways. Layer up underneath then add that on top as wind protection and I stay warm on very cold days fishing.

goreds.king
12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Travis...which jacket do you have? I've got a set of the inexpensive Frogg Toggs (real thin). I was wearing the bottoms while I was out kayaking this past Sunday and my pants underneath still ended up getting damp.

Travis C.
12-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Travis...which jacket do you have? I've got a set of the inexpensive Frogg Toggs (real thin). I was wearing the bottoms while I was out kayaking this past Sunday and my pants underneath still ended up getting damp.

I have this set:

http://www.froggtoggs.com/collections-styles/bull-frogg.html

Alphahawk
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Good rain gear costs.....but you get what you pay for. If you get breathable rain gear even the high end stuff needs retreating after a while. There are several treatments out there but I use Nikwax TX. I mention this as the rain gear gets a lot of use you will see where it will start to saturate with water. I used to think that it was no longer any good. Then I read that Gore Tex recommend retreating every so often. I have a Gore Tex wading jacket and I thought it had seen it's day...but after a treatment the rain just beaded up and rolled off like new. There is a lot of good rain gear out there but all breathable rain gear will need re-treatment from time to time. I don't really have a brand to recommend just wanted to let you know about re-treatment...in case.

Regards

bfish
12-05-2013, 06:39 PM
My experience with rain gear in a kayak, is that the coating and seams wear out really quick. If you do go that route (rather than breathable waders and a paddling jacket (which is also waterproof), go with a rain jacket that has velcro closure on the wrist (the wider the better). I like Cabelas brand, mostly due to tall sizing, but also think it is a good valve for the price. Columbia, Helly Hansen are so both good too.

Buccaneer
12-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Check Cabelas Bargain Cave often. I got Guidewear Bibs on cl;ose out and topped it off with a Frog Toggs Bull Frog top. Best money I ever spent on rain gear. You missed the Bass Pro black Friday event, first ever sale on their 100 MPH raingear.

SAMBOLIE
12-05-2013, 09:28 PM
If this works as advertised you could simply spray your clothing and not need a rain suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

tkwalker
12-06-2013, 01:10 AM
If this works as advertised you could simply spray your clothing and not need a rain suit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ

Lowes carries it also ... It is a two part aerosol ... Sam and I use it on the bottoms of our vintage race/comp boats to bead water ... ... But it does work including mud !! <'TK>< :)

SAMBOLIE
12-06-2013, 06:05 AM
Lowes carries it also ... It is a two part aerosol ... Sam and I use it on the bottoms of our vintage race/comp boats to bead water ... ... But it does work including mud !! <'TK>< :)

Thanks TK, I wondered if it was as good as advertised. May coat my satellite dish with it.
Do you think it would repel the BS spewed by some fishermen?:):)

tkwalker
12-06-2013, 12:05 PM
:)Thanks TK, I wondered if it was as good as advertised. May coat my satellite dish with it.
Do you think it would repel the BS spewed by some fishermen?:):)

I don't know if I would coat the dish with it ... It will cause many beads of water that will reflect and may interfere with your signal ... As far a the spewing BS from Fishermen .... Nope, it's going to take someone bigger than Rustoleum or DuPont ... :eek: <'TK><

TNBronzeback
12-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I had a pair of Frog Toggs once....once. If you are standing there in the rain, they seemed to work pretty good. But if you have some water on your boat seat, or kneel on wet carpet or something, you will get wet, at least i always have. It seems if the stuff stretches, you get moisture in them. and we all know what its like with an itchy/wet a$$. LOL
My raingear i currently have is a set of bibbs and long jacket i got from the Coleman outlet store in Sevierville i believe. Very "Gordon the Fisherman-ish" in regards to the heavy rubber/vinyl material but you wont get wet. Its a great suite for cold weather fishing, but you will sweat to death if its over 60 outside as the suite does not breathe at all and if your gonna do that, might as well just fish in your clothes in the rain!
Good suite though for the $30 or so i paid for it.