PDA

View Full Version : Sonar Help

goreds.king
11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I’m in the market for a new fish finder for my kayak (so compact is a plus). I like idea of down imagining, but I also like my traditional 2D sonar. So I am looking for a unit with down imagining and a traditional 2D sonar (I do not want GPS capability). The only finder that fits the bill (at a reasonable price) is the Hummingbird 346c DI (and its color). I can’t find any Lowrance units at the $250 price range with DSI and 2D sonar. Does anyone have any experience with the 346c DI? Or does Lowrance have a similar unit that I have overlooked?

XxthejuicexX
11-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Speaking from experience i say buy color and only color. I made the mistake of getting an h bird 570 di in black and white and dont care for it because my buddies boat we fish out of is decked out in lowrance elite 7s. I like some of the H birds in color and right now tackle warehouse.com has them all at 20% off.

Jdkxtreme
11-20-2013, 08:53 AM
Here is a shot from my Lowrance Elite 5 X DSI. It is 12# line and my spinner bait. I bought it on line from Cabala's for 249.00. It is mounted on my Kayak. RIde 135. I used the Lowrance Scupper mount for the transducer and a ram mount for the unit. I think it only has the DSI though. I'm still pretty clueless to boat electronics.

goreds.king
11-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Hummingbird 346c DI. I was stuck on having both DI and 2D sonar and I didn't find many other options. This finder in not on the list for any black Friday deals, so I bought it from tackle warehouse (20% off, no shipping charges, no sales tax...couldn't pass up).

I did go to Bass Pro to take a look at the finder along with others. Every staff member I talked to was very "pro Hummingbird". No one had anything positive to say about Lowrance except for the higher end units. Almost like they were getting a kickback for pushing Hummingbird. Anyways...that didn't affect my decision. Everything that I have owned up to now has been Lowrance and I haven’t had any problems.

I’m hoping in the next few weeks to locate some brush and pick up a few slabs. Once I’ve had it out on the water a few times I’ll post a review.

XxthejuicexX
11-20-2013, 12:36 PM
I will say from experience that Hbirds customer service is pretty dang good. I have not had to deal with lowrance. I was fishing last weekend and picking up my crappie magnet and 6lb line on the fishfinder so even black and white lower end Hbirds are pretty detailed. I caught my fish crappie magner fish last week. Still don't think I am fishing it right. Congrats on the new unit, glad you got the 20% off, I wish i could get the elite 7 with the discount but I figure that since I am sitting at the hospsital with a new born I should probally save the money.

Buccaneer
11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
I just completed mounting my new Elite 5-X DSI unit in the console of my Stratos where I had a Lowrance X25 monochrome unit. Although I have not been on the water yet I like what I see in the color pallette options and other features. For $249 at Cabelas there was no way I could pass it up.
JD - is the transducer angle critical to good readings? i.e. parralel to the water surface? Mine is mounted on my jack plate and appears relatively parralel with the keel line.

Reel Tune
11-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Sick image Jdkxtreme. I'm using Sarah's Elite 4 right now and it's ok, but Saturday I pulled up next to Craig with his new Elite 5 HDI, and I could see what he was seeing, but his was much more detailed.

I recommend getting color if at all possible. Humminbird and Lowrance are both great units.

Jdkxtreme
11-20-2013, 02:29 PM
I just completed mounting my new Elite 5-X DSI unit in the console of my Stratos where I had a Lowrance X25 monochrome unit. Although I have not been on the water yet I like what I see in the color pallette options and other features. For $249 at Cabelas there was no way I could pass it up.
JD - is the transducer angle critical to good readings? i.e. parralel to the water surface? Mine is mounted on my jack plate and appears relatively parralel with the keel line.

I'm not for sure if the angle makes that much difference. They said mount it parralel so I did

Hammy
11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
HB factory outlet store has the Hummingbird 346c DI for $244.00 free shipping. How does this compare?

Hammy

Edit TW $199 WOW

goreds.king
11-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Yep...199 is exactly what I paid. Hard to pass on that price. The 20% off ends Friday I believe.

Hammy
11-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Well........... I pulled the trigger on the 364. Dont know if I should have but My Black Friday Tool Budget is not being used this year so I thought I'd use it for fun stuff. Well see.

Hammy

ps I can always sell it.

tkwalker
11-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Well, it seems here we go again ... Ford or Chevrolet ... I received my HB 998 yesterday and was very impressed ...

I am opening the packaging and going through all of the peripherals of the unit, ...Example Transducer and mount, External GPS antennae .. etc ...

Reading the installation instructions ... Looking at the two How to and Unit user manual DVD's they came with it ... A surprise Do to the Fact that it is a HB Top end unit ... I was enrolled in a HB Select .. Membership ... A custom 1-800 to customer service number which is channeled directly to the HB Select group ... Plus an extra 1 year free warranty (two years total) ..

Now ... The good part is this is a $2000 unit ... Cabela's has it on sale for $1500 ... I had $138 in Cabela's reward points .(I use a Cabela's card quite frequently because of these points ... Total cost ... $1362 ... Free shipping ...

Now here is the kicker ... This sale if you are a Cabela Rewards card holders get an extra 20% in rewards points for their next purchase ... So now I have $272 $worth of rewards points ... Which will purchase my Navionics card and a Ram mount with $$ left over ...

Now, I would like to say life is good .. except ... I will still need some tutoring from aglesssone on how to use all of this ... But what the heck ... I am getting on up there in age and why not go for the gusto in piscatorial paraphernalia ..

Also I fell today bringing in stove wood in to my shop ... Reinjured my hamstring and Right rotary cuff .. ( it took me 20 min's to fall and 40 min's to get back up ) So I am a little stove up so this may impede my installation ... But life is good ... and looking forward to another day ... !! ... <'TK>< :)

Hammy
11-23-2013, 08:44 AM
LoL guess I bought a Hugo...........

Hammy

agelesssone
11-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Damn TK, sorry to hear that! If you want a hand installing your unit, transducer and stuff, let me know.

I have the daughter but can finagle some time to get over there and help you out.

tkwalker
11-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Damn TK, sorry to hear that! If you want a hand installing your unit, transducer and stuff, let me know.

I have the daughter but can finagle some time to get over there and help you out.

Merv, This my fourth rodeo with both the roto cuffs (I guess when your stupid you have got be tough!!) ... I think I will be able to climb in and out of the boat in 4 or 5 days ... But I really appreciate the offer ... <'TK><:p

Alphahawk
11-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Merv, This my fourth rodeo with both the roto cuffs (I guess when your stupid you have got be tough!!) ... I think I will be able to climb in and out of the boat in 4 or 5 days ... But I really appreciate the offer ... <'TK><:p

Been there......done that....both the roto cuffs and the stupid part as well. I feel your pain......literally. If someone had told me a knee replacement was a walk in the park as to roto cuff surgery and or recovery from a tear I would have called them a liar......but roto cuff pain brings one down to their knees. Worse pain I have ever had. Hope it eases for you soon.

Regards

agelesssone
11-23-2013, 06:53 PM
No problem TK, if you need a hand, just holler.

I had an MRI done a few weeks ago, Doc says I need to have a tendon screwed back down cause it's half torn. I just don't want to be "down" for six months. So I'll put it off til I can't stand it no more.

Hammy
12-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Just got my Sonar Hummingbird 364 from Tacklewharehouse today for my kayak. Now I need to figure out how to mount it.

Hammy

goreds.king
12-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Hammy..not sure what you setup is, but here are of few pictures of mine. I can move the sonar to the geartrac on the mounting plate or keep it in the center on the rod pod (I have an Old Town Predator 13). As for the transducer, I have it on the liberator mini arm. The Predator has a transducer scupper hole, but the DI transducer doesn't mount flush (which is one of the very few things I dislike about the Predator). Last, the battery is stored in pouch under the front hatch.

I've taken the Hummingbird 346c DI out briefly, and I must say that I am very impressed. Once I've had it out a few more times I plan on doing a review.

jad2t
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Now ... The good part is this is a $2000 unit ... Cabela's has it on sale for $1500 ... I had $138 in Cabela's reward points .(I use a Cabela's card quite frequently because of these points ... Total cost ... $1362 ... Free shipping ...

I love the Cabelas card!! My wife and I charge everything to it that we're allowed to use a credit card for. I rack up lots of points and have bought SO MUCH stuff from Cabelas for free, reels, my depthfinder, and I don't know how many pounds of fishing lures, all for free! It's awesome.

Jdkxtreme
12-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Just got my Sonar Hummingbird 364 from Tacklewharehouse today for my kayak. Now I need to figure out how to mount it.

Hammy
I used a Lowrance Scupper hole mount for the transducer. Super clean and super fast. I used a Ram mount for the unit.

The top pic is a view from underneath and the bottom pic is the inside of the Kayak. Super clean and no drag

Hammy
12-04-2013, 07:52 PM
King & JD, thanks for the hints and suggestions. I like the mounts shown but I'm going to have to go low tec ( as in cheap ) Wife thinks my yak new habit may be getting out of hand.

I'll just have to do it a little at a time. Oh and I bought a gopro.

Hammy

Hammy
12-04-2013, 07:53 PM
King, my yak is a F&S 12 Talon.

Hammy

Hammy
12-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Humminbird Receives Award for 360 Imaging

http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_123/humminbird-award-12313.html

Hammy

Hammy
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
goreds king, have you used your fish finder enough to do a review yet?

Hammy

goreds.king
01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
goreds king, have you used your fish finder enough to do a review yet?

Hammy

I’ve been out on the water 3 times since I got it. So far I don’t have any complaints. My favorite is to look at 2D and DI on the split screen. It gives a great picture of what’s below from 2 points of view, but obviously on a small screen. This was one of the only units that offered what I wanted (compact, 2D, DI, and under $200). It’s not as compact as the smaller Lowrance units, but where I have it on my kayak it’s not an issue.

I have not changed the settings very much. The menus are very easy to navigate and understand (I’ve got an IT background so most electronics come easy for me to pick up).

I’m not the best at translating what’s on the screen so I’ve used the three trips as a learning experience (in addition to watching videos and reading articles). What I need to do is hit the lake with an experienced angler and just pick his/her brain. I’ve never had anyone show or explain graphs to me. After saying that I’m not sure I’m the best person to write a review for a sonar.

Given the option to buy this one again or go with a different unit (for my kayak) I would buy it again. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Hammy
01-09-2014, 06:27 PM
goreds.king, post a couple of pics of your FF mount. I saw the one you posted earlier in this thread.

Hammy