PDA

View Full Version : Nickajack 11-08-2013

Alphahawk
11-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Nephew called last night and thought he had stomach flu and could not go with me today. Once at Nickajack I get a call his colon is kinked and he is going to surgery.....hope it all goes well. Started fishing at 8:45 a.m. and left at 1:30 p.m. with a limit of 15 crappie. The wind was howling when I got there but I was not going to be run off. It was rough for about two and a half hours then the wind died down. During those first couple of hours only caught 5 fish but must have missed 30. With that bow in the line they felt you and were gone before you get a good hook set. I took the 12 foot jigging rod and that wouldn't work as the water was up and could not reach the zone the fish were in to fish straight down. Caught all fish on a Bison colored Trout Magnet using 2# test NanoFil with 3# test fluorocarbon leader. Had a couple of bass today....not very big but one was really long and put-up a good fight. The crappie were extremely tight to cover. The water temp has dropped to 58 degrees. All crappie were 11 and 12 inch fish....looking for bigger than that but had to take what the lake was giving. This is my last report until browntrout and I return from my White River trip next Saturday.

Regards

tacklemake
11-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Thank you my friend for another great report..................woody

nomad60
11-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Good report, Alpha...you did much better than I did today. Hope you have a great fishing trip!

MNfisher
11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Great! Good luck and be safe on the white!

agelesssone
11-09-2013, 12:20 AM
Nice report and way to keep after them. You must have the patience of a saint
Hope you have a great trip on the White and catch so many your arms get tired from reelin them in!

creekcrappie
11-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Wow those are some slabs!

SAMBOLIE
11-09-2013, 07:40 AM
nice report and way to keep after them. You must have the patience of a saint
hope you have a great trip on the white and catch so many your arms get tired from reelin them in!

+1

Halli
11-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Good luck on the trip.

Transplanted Sportsman
11-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Nice mess of slabs there Mr Randy!!!!, how do you adjust for those windy days??, do you continue to use the same 1/64 jig heads or do you go to 1/32 or even 1/16, to combat the effects of the wind on your line? that big bow on the line messes up the sensitivity quite a bit, I noticed that I;m too slow to react to the bite under such conditions!!, good luck on the White river, have fun with ol' Roy be safe and sore lip them all!!!!

Alphahawk
11-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Nice mess of slabs there Mr Randy!!!!, how do you adjust for those windy days??, do you continue to use the same 1/64 jig heads or do you go to 1/32 or even 1/16, to combat the effects of the wind on your line? that big bow on the line messes up the sensitivity quite a bit, I noticed that I;m too slow to react to the bite under such conditions!!, good luck on the White river, have fun with ol' Roy be safe and sore lip them all!!!!

Thanks....I put two size BB split shot about 18 inches above the Trout Magnet but in that kind of wind it really wasn't enough. I was getting a lot of crappie bites...and I knew they were there or I would have gone home. I was lucky that the wind just quit and I got the rest of my limit and headed home. Where I fish they were so close to a wall that I could not use the float like I do many times on windy days. Bottom line for those of us that fish 2# test the wind is a big negative for us.

Regards