PDA

View Full Version : How do I adjust my cold water bass fishing

MOJOBASSMAN1
11-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Im from fla and just moved to Gallatin 3 months ago. I usually put in at Bledsoe. Ive caught up to a 5 pounder. I know the bass aren't as big as Fl. ut I just enjoy catching them. Usually largemouth but Im open. I just don't know how to adjust for the cold and deep water? Any help would be great. Thanks.

tacklemake
11-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I like to test different lures and different ways to use them and for Fla having bigger bass I don't think so. Because no one has fish for bass with 8" river shiners and balloons dosen't main they aren't here.............woody

Heiny57
11-07-2013, 12:05 PM
I suffer the same lack of mindset for BASs fishing deep impoundments . I lived in Orlando 10 years and it is a deferent style of fishing. When you figure it out let me know. LOL

MOJOBASSMAN1
11-07-2013, 12:15 PM
I suffer the same lack of mindset for BASs fishing deep impoundments . I lived in Orlando 10 years and it is a deferent style of fishing. When you figure it out let me know. LOL
I will I use a crankbait a lot instead of a worm. They like my KVD 1.5 black back chartreuse. I lived in Fla my whole 45 year life. Caught from 5 to 10pounders. Weekly pulling in 6 plus pounders. My lunker club picture is in Bassmaster magazine this month. Fla had some monsters. Biggest my friend caught was 14. I don't know where they are hiding here but they are pretty good at it ;)

jad2t
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Not that there aren't any big bass in TN waters but the bass in Florida are significantly bigger. I lived in south Florida for 18 years and did a lot of bass fishing. Catching a 5 pounder here is a surprise, catching a 5 pounder there is expected with a full day of fishing. There are way more 10+ pound bass caught in Florida than in Tennessee which is why Florida strain bass are stocked in Chickamagua and Guntersville and those lakes are known for monster bass.

I may be wrong but I believe Florida strain bass are also stocked in the Williamsport Lakes which is why there are so many larger bass in there as well.

nomad60
11-07-2013, 02:22 PM
When it gets colder (as in December, January & February), I just slow things down some. If I think I'm fishing slow, I'm probably fishing too fast. Jigs, plastics, and crankbaits, fished slower than normal and I try to visualize where a bass may be hiding so I can drop the lure on its head...I also look for rocks that the sun is warming up. And if the LM bass aren't cooperating, then I start looking for white bass :)

Alphahawk
11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
When it gets colder (as in December, January & February), I just slow things down some. If I think I'm fishing slow, I'm probably fishing too fast. Jigs, plastics, and crankbaits, fished slower than normal and I try to visualize where a bass may be hiding so I can drop the lure on its head...I also look for rocks that the sun is warming up. And if the LM bass aren't cooperating, then I start looking for white bass :)

Been many years since I was a large mouth bass fanatic. After I quit chasing them and started going after other specie then I began to really learn about them.....LOL. Found out by accident just what you said about them warming themselves in large riprap. Crappie fishing at Pickwick in winter really big bass will be in that riprap.....and not deep at all.

Regards

blink
11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
I use a finesse jig with a craw trailer a lot when it gets colder. Shaky heads also. Deep cranks have produced for me too in colder weather.

One thing i will do more in the winter is fish moving water more. Fish in rivers dont slow down quite as much as fish in lakes.

nomad60
11-07-2013, 03:58 PM
Been many years since I was a large mouth bass fanatic. After I quit chasing them and started going after other specie then I began to really learn about them.....LOL. Found out by accident just what you said about them warming themselves in large riprap. Crappie fishing at Pickwick in winter really big bass will be in that riprap.....and not deep at all.

Regards

Alpha,

(Not to hijack or derail this thread) I've been seriously thinking I have to do that; i.e. stop going after bass for a while and concentrate on figuring out the other species. For the last 10 years or so, all I was really doing was fishing for bass in lakes, and I never fished any kind of current like what I see here. I fished for bluegill every now and then but over in Korea, bass and bluegill were pretty much it unless you were into fishing for carp like the locals. Since I got here, I've been mainly fishing for bass with the occasional foray into bluegill or trying to find some crappie, along with that elusive striper but so far, I've done much better going after bass vs. the other fish unless I got lucky and found a school of white bass. I'm thinking I need to leave the Senkos and jigs at home for a few trips and spend some time with the ultralight. Well, after this weekend, anyway LOL

MOJOBASSMAN1
11-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Thanks to all for suggestions. I will take them to heart. I fish atleast 4 times a week and usually fish slow anyway. I have only been here 3 months and am learning as I go with everyones help.

Buccaneer
11-08-2013, 09:27 AM
I came from Florida too, the Space Coast. Moved here in 1998 to Hendersonville to be close to Old Hickory. My first shock was no lilly pads, cat tails or bull rushes. However I can assure you not all of the bass leave the shallow areas in the winter. Fish close to any shallow cover you can find, wood and rock in particular. Go to spinning tackle and try some Charlie Brewer Slider baits - http://sliderfishing.com/
4" & 5" worms and the 6" ring worm, paddle tail swim and the wide gap hook jig heads. Rig with braid and a flouro leader for best feel of what the bait is doing. Do not discount a square bill crankbait banged off any form of cover, including docks.

tacklemake
11-08-2013, 06:38 PM
I have six rods on the boat with something different on each rod and I try something different each time I go out.I fish for anything that will bite and if it's a bass it is a plus but I just love to fish and make fishing tackle that catches fish.................woody