PDA

View Full Version : Some Baitcasting Equipment Questions

wordty
10-11-2013, 09:35 PM
1. I need a cranking set up to use from a boat...not extremely deep cranking...I have an extra rod sitting around, a 7 foot Medium Vendetta with Medium / Fast tip...would it work for a cranking rod, and if not, I will get a BPS Crankin Stick...but tell me why it wouldn't work if you don't advise me using the Vendetta (also I'd like to know if I should use a 5:4.1 baitcasting reel, or what?)
2. I have a KVD 7:0.1 burner that I might as well use as a frog / pitching type rod I guess...is 7'3" a good length rod for this, and what stifness / action should I get on it?

Thanks to you all!

Reel Tune
10-11-2013, 11:50 PM
For shallow cranking and precise casting I like a 6'9-7'3 rod in medium action. This allows for more precise casting and better feel of shallow to medium cranks. The fast tip allows for a lot of give so there is constant pressure on the trebles once hooked up. I've never used a Vendetta though, just going off the properties you have given.

A 5.4:1 would be my choice for deep cranks 15'+ I use a 5.5:1 for that application and works fine for cranks up to 25', the 5.4:1 has the torgue to fight those deep cranks. For shallow cranks I prefer a 6.2:1, or 6.5:1, and spinnerbaits a 7.1:1 or 7.6:1

For frogs I use a reel with a good strong drag, the speed dosen't matter much for me, but needs torque, but usuallt a 6.2:1, or 6.5:1 loaded with 50-60lb of braid. The rod is usually a 7'6-7'9 heavy action to pull fish from the slop.

The 7.0:1 would be good for pitching to get your bait back quickly and preparred for your next target, but usually us a rod at least 7'6" for this application it seems to give me further pitching range.

XxthejuicexX
11-11-2013, 11:42 AM
I have a 4:9:1 cranking reel that I love. It's almost like nothing is on the end of the rod. I use the skeet reese model cranking rods and for deep diving cranks a 7'10" is what I would recommend. Tacklewarehouse.com has the rods on sale right now for 69 I think.