PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland River (Clarksville area) 11 Oct 2013

nomad60
10-11-2013, 12:00 PM
I love this time of year when the steam is rising off the water in the morning, the humidity is (almost) gone and the air is crisp. The weather was so nice today, I wouldn’t have minded getting skunked – which I almost did, by the way, because I wanted to break the spinnerbait curse and spent the first hour throwing nothing but a spinnerbait with nothing to show for it. So the curse is still intact - I have not caught a darned fish on a spinnerbait since I got to TN 2 years ago and that lure used to be one of my weapons of choice. Maybe I'm throwing the wrong color? By the time I put the spinnerbait down, the sun was starting to hit the water and the bites were far and few between. Maybe if I spent more time fishing and less time gawking at the scenery I’d catch a few more :)

All fish today were caught on a black, 4" Senko, fished weightless (Texas-rigged). The water temp is still right around 73...I got no bites in any area where the sun was hitting the water, only in shaded spots, and the fish were hugging the rocks.

BTW, can someone tell me when the white bass start running again? I thought I read that they run the river once in the spring and once in the fall. Thanks!

MNfisher
10-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Great pics! Great fish!

Alphahawk
10-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Some really nice bass there. I am waiting on the whites also at Pickwick. Even though I caught a couple day before yesterday am waiting for when they show in mass....and you get one every cast. Should be within the next 2 weeks on TN River system....I would imagine the same for the Cumberland.

Regards

creekcrappie
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Some really nice bass there. I am waiting on the whites also at Pickwick. Even though I caught a couple day before yesterday am waiting for when they show in mass....and you get one every cast. Should be within the next 2 weeks on TN River system....I would imagine the same for the Cumberland.

Regards

When do you think they will be running on Percy priest? What depth?

TNBronzeback
10-11-2013, 04:07 PM

I ran into a big school of them in the Long Hunter State park area last weekend. Just wave after wave went thru, all within about 6ft of the surface. The surface activity didnt give justice to the amount of white's passing thru chasing bait. They were in no way picky about what you were throwing either....anything remotely similar to a shad was smashed.

Alphahawk
10-11-2013, 04:30 PM

I can't tell you when on Percy but they should not be deep at all.....as Bronzeback said probably within 6 feet of surface.

Regards

nomad60
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I hope I can get lucky and find them here in the river...earlier this spring when I got into them a couple of times, I had a blast. Those things put up such a great fight. I was hoping to see some action this morning but I didn't see anything busting shad out there. But my inline spinner is tied on and ready to go!!!

creekcrappie
10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Senko bites are always vicious and fun!