PDA

View Full Version : Is the Buffalo fished out?

CreekWalker
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
I'd love to hear other reports. Last year we had a great year catching both numbers and quality size smallmouth on the Buffalo.

This year we caught fair numbers but noticed a plunge in hookups with bigger fish. Conditions seemed just right weather-wise but the bigger fish were just not around.

I can say that the number of trot lines probably tripled this year compared to last in the stretch that I fish. Last year I did see a smallmouth of about 8" in length as bait on a trot line I was hung up in.

It'd be a shame if that resource has in fact gone to crap because of over-harvesting. Please someone tell me that I've just lost my fish catching ability?!

MNfisher
10-03-2013, 05:13 PM
That's too bad. What would an 8" smallie be used for as bait? Flatheads?

Halli
10-03-2013, 05:17 PM
When I lived in the Richmond Virginia area 25 years back I would be cat fishing on the James and would get small smallmouth on cut bait sometimes maybe that's what has happened... just thinking positive.

Alphahawk
10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Only thing wrong with Buffalo is too many "strainers" for me and way too many recreational canoes. Of course they can use the river too but it stays covered up in spring...summer with them. If you would like an off the beaten path fishing try walking.... Wading....the Little Buffalo on Laurel Hill Wild Life Management area. A great little stream but I'm too old and fat to do it anymore.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
10-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Only thing wrong with Buffalo is too many "strainers" for me and way too many recreational canoes. Of course they can use the river too but it stays covered up in spring...summer with them. If you would like an off the beaten path fishing try walking.... Wading....the Little Buffalo on Laurel Hill Wild Life Management area. A great little stream but I'm too old and fat to do it anymore.

Regards

I talked to man who lives in Summertown and owns land on that river. He said it is loaded. ---------With snakes.

nomad60
10-03-2013, 07:23 PM

Regards

Strainers?

Nets? Or downed trees? :confused:

Alphahawk
10-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Downed trees.

Regards