PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

Jdkxtreme
10-01-2013, 09:41 AM
I am on the fence about getting a good pair of RX sunglasses. What do you all that wear prescription glasses use? I have been told by a lot of people that Costa's are the way to go

Reel Tune
10-01-2013, 01:02 PM
I wear Costa. Not saying they are the best, but they are the best I’ve tried. Other good polarized sunglasses are Maui Jim, and Kaenon.

Jdkxtreme
10-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Thank you Jeremy. I have been told that the green lens are the best for Creeks, Lakes and Rivers. Do you seem to think so also?

MNfisher
10-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Thank you Jeremy. I have been told that the green lens are the best for Creeks, Lakes and Rivers. Do you seem to think so also?

Just my personal preference, but I love the amber lenses!

XxthejuicexX
10-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I wear the Oakley flack jackets, in an amber lens color and they are polarized. I like it because it's not to dark of a tint but it's just enough to block the light from bothering you. I just wished they float I almost lost them over them summer in Tims ford. My friend I fish with most of the time wears costas and loves them. He sent them in for a warranty issue because the lenses had some issues and they replaced everything but the frame, good warranty and customer service and they float!

Alphahawk
10-01-2013, 05:57 PM
I find the amber lens work best in all waters. Costa is no longer...well Costa. They have been bought out by an Italian company called Luxottica. You name a brand and they own it...about 90 percent of all eye wear. Maui Jim's is still their own company...for now.

Regards

Reel Tune
10-02-2013, 07:47 AM
I mainly wear amber lenses for freshwater, but have a pair of blue mirror, and green mirror for saltwater. I've found 5 frames that I like from Costa. I like Coasta's for all the frames they have, they have a frame to fit about anyone's face.

Where did you hear this from Alpha? I haven't bout a pair in about a year, but probably check out another brand for the next pair.

Travis C.
10-02-2013, 08:16 AM
I hear these are great for reducing glare but you probably want to add some Cablz to them to keep wind from blowing them away.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mOIGPMJQRbBpUujybgTfxeA.jpg

:D

wordty
10-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Jeff at Trout Magnet sells some real inexpensive MAXX sunglasses...they are great for seeing in water, and Jeff will be the first to tell you as he told me that "YES, they are plastic and will scratch." But they are great, and while I wear my Costas most of the time, there are still times that I put on the ones I got from Jeff and feel like I am seeing better...of course part of that is due to the different tints of glasses.

Jdkxtreme
10-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Jeff at Trout Magnet sells some real inexpensive MAXX sunglasses...they are great for seeing in water, and Jeff will be the first to tell you as he told me that "YES, they are plastic and will scratch." But they are great, and while I wear my Costas most of the time, there are still times that I put on the ones I got from Jeff and feel like I am seeing better...of course part of that is due to the different tints of glasses.

Thank you. The main reason I was looking at the Costa is because they can have an RX lens put in them

Alphahawk
10-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I mainly wear amber lenses for freshwater, but have a pair of blue mirror, and green mirror for saltwater. I've found 5 frames that I like from Costa. I like Coasta's for all the frames they have, they have a frame to fit about anyone's face.

Where did you hear this from Alpha? I haven't bout a pair in about a year, but probably check out another brand for the next pair.

Actually Jeremy you started me off on my research journey when you made some comments in an older post about sunglasses. I was looking to buy some Costas and started reading about the lens made by Costa. A lot of folks buy the Costa frame but not the Costa lens. I figured if I was going to pay that kind of money I wanted the Costa lens also. When I went to my vision shop....a locally owned place...I told them I wanted the Costa lens and she told me she wasn't sure if the lens would be the same since Costa had been acquired by Luxottica. Read a piece on them done by 60 Minutes. Since the 60 Minutes article Luxottica has been even more closed mouth. To recheck my facts went to the Luxottica page and Costa is not listed....but according to 60 Minutes they own them. Bottom line they own just about every make of glasses you can think of. That creates a problem for us as they keep the price high....they basically have no competition. Now the Costas may be the same as always....probably are. The only major eye glass shops that don't deal with Luxottica are Sam's Club...Costco.....Walmart. Pearl....LensCrafters....Target Optical.....Sears.....Sunglass Hut...all Luxottica. The mom and pop optical shops get their stuff from Luxottica. They basically did a hostile takeover of Oakley. I still want a pair of Costas but it was just an enlightening read to see why eye wear is so expensive.

Regards

robhal11
10-03-2013, 01:29 PM
I really like my Amphibia's, cut glare.

Reel Tune
10-03-2013, 02:00 PM
^^^^^^
This is another sunglass I've heard of, but not tried that I would like to.

bfish
10-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Zenni Optical (Chinese) would be about the only competitor to Luxxottica

nice discussion of sunglasses here:
http://www.riversmallies.com/forum/showthread.php?3029-Does-the-high-costs-of-prescription-sunglasses-(especially-those-with-polarizing...&highlight=sunglasses

After loosing a pair this summer (rope swing) and having another older pair finally break (superglue won't work anymore), I just got me some Costas (yet to be delivered).

Saltwaterwalt
10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Getting on the tail end of this thread, but I really like my Onos, Grand Lagoon bifocals. I've owned Oakleys and Ray Bans, but I'd put the quality right up there with some of the higher priced glasses. They cost me $100 but I've had them for five years now and will buy the same if I ever lose them. They also have a lifetime warranty. Check out their Website. http://onos.com/