PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg Fishing??

Jake47
09-12-2013, 06:47 PM
The Mrs. and I are headed to Gatlinburg for a little weekend getaway. She is planning on a little spa time one day so I am going to try and catch a few fish. Any recommendations on where I can catch a few bass or panfish?

Travis C.
09-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Your smallies will be roughly from the Apple Barn in Sevierville on the out the west prong to the French Broad. They are up the east prong to about Red Bank area on Pittman Center Hwy. You'll find rockbass as well in those areas.

Above that on west prong/east prong you'll be in trout.

Brian37075
09-13-2013, 10:41 PM
As mentioned in the prior post the river in front of the Apple Barn holds some good sized trout, some small mouth as well large mouth. I've caught all three on a watermelon tube jig. Did well and released. There still maybe a good 20" rainbow right before you go under the bridge to the left when you stand in front of the Apple barn.

Jake47
09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Didn't get a chance to go today and most likely won't tomorrow either. Had no idea there was the Rod Run the weekend! Holy traffic jam. You can't drive anywhere without getting into a traffic jam...

Brian37075
09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Jake you must not have been to Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg in a while. It's like that every weekend regardless of the event. One way in, One way out. You fish while everyone sits in traffic. LOL

Jake47
09-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Jake you must not have been to Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg in a while. It's like that every weekend regardless of the event. One way in, One way out. You fish while everyone sits in traffic. LOL

I have in fact never been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. We came here on a recommendation of a coworker for a weekend getaway. When driving in last night, we were both quite disappointed because we were looking more for a quiet, tranquil getaway. I am originally from Wisconsin and we have a similar place there called Wisconsin Dells. We typically avoid that place at all costs.

Oh well. Lesson learned. Probably won't ever be back...

Travis C.
09-15-2013, 07:05 AM
I have in fact never been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. We came here on a recommendation of a coworker for a weekend getaway. When driving in last night, we were both quite disappointed because we were looking more for a quiet, tranquil getaway. I am originally from Wisconsin and we have a similar place there called Wisconsin Dells. We typically avoid that place at all costs.

Oh well. Lesson learned. Probably won't ever be back...

This time of year through mid Oct is peak season because of the leaves changing. There are actually several ways in and around without traveling the main drag. I have spent a lot of time there.

Give it another shot but go in through Maryville and stay around Townsend on the south side of Gburg. A lot less noise there. The Little River runs the road with plenty of pull offs. Very good smallies in lower stretches and as you work towards mtns get into trout. If you have to visit Gburg you can come in through the park side staying out of most traffic. If you wanted to go to Pigeon Forge you can take Wears Valley over without the traffic as well.

bd-
09-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Yeah, the first time I went to fish that area, we made the mistake of staying in Pigeon Forge on the weekend of that car show. It was the most unbelievable traffic I have ever seen. It took three hours to drive the 12 miles from the spot we were staying to the Park. It was awful and I barely got to fish.

It's a beautful area and there are good places to fish around there. But if you stay in Gatlinburg in the fall, you're going to have a bad time.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2

TroutFiend
09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I am headed up to Gatlinburg with my 2 oldest boys they are under 12 yrs. I see they don't require daily trout permits. If I am targeting bass only do I need local trout permit?

Tnriverluver
09-23-2013, 02:57 PM
As long as you don't keep the trout you are generally OK. That's how it is in our state agency lakes that get stocked with trout each winter. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more info on the Gatlinburg rivers since they could be different.

bfish
09-23-2013, 06:07 PM
If you are fishing in Gatlinburg, you will need the city trout license (no bass in the city). If you are not in the city you can fish for bass and the lower reaches of the Little Pigeon and Little River are your best bets inside the Park. Outside the park is generally better fishing for smallmouth.

Travis C.
09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
No fishing in the city on Thursday and be aware of the kids/senior only fishing spot on the Pigeon Forge side of town.

For information on fishing in the Gatlinburg area, contact the Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce, 520 Parkway, Gatlinburg, TN 37738. Phone: 865-436-4558; 1-800-568-4748.

Type 097 (Resident or Nonresident Gatlinburg 1-Day Trout Permit)
Only requirement, ages 13 and up, to fish in Gatlinburg for one day. $11.50

Type 099 (Gatlinburg Trout - Daily)
Required for both residents and nonresident ages 13-64 in addition to the appropriate fishing licenses except for nonresidents who purchase the Type 097 license. $3.50

Type 096 (Gatlinburg 3-Day Trout Permit)
Required for both residents and nonresidents ages 13-64 in addition to the appropriate fishing licenses except for nonresidents who purchase the (Type 097) permit. $9.50

The 097 is a relatively new license option by our state. If you currently have a TN license then you'd go with a 099 or 097. The 097 is for those who don't have any kind of license at all but want to fish for one day.

On a side note... I'd leave the trout alone and fish in Sevierville. The smallies should be on fire getting ready for fall/winter.

Brian37075
09-23-2013, 09:50 PM
When you go you should try in front of the apple barn. You can park in their lot or get dropped while the ladies shop. Lots of action from the bridge to the left and a little past it. Then the whole area in front of the apple barn and the right. I fish a plain old watermelon tube jig. Caught a nice size trout by the bridge , small mouth in the current on the other side of the bridge. Bass everywhere else. Good bank easy to walk up and down the river.

TroutFiend
09-24-2013, 07:42 AM
When you go you should try in front of the apple barn. You can park in their lot or get dropped while the ladies shop. Lots of action from the bridge to the left and a little past it. Then the whole area in front of the apple barn and the right. I fish a plain old watermelon tube jig. Caught a nice size trout by the bridge , small mouth in the current on the other side of the bridge. Bass everywhere else. Good bank easy to walk up and down the river.

Do I need the city permit for this area? I see the area well with the new google map. You can go to street view and see everything.

TroutFiend
09-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks Travis , I got my trout fix last saturday at the Caney. I will probably bring TM's and Tenkara for my boys and tube jigs for me.

Travis C.
09-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Do I need the city permit for this area? I see the area well with the new google map. You can go to street view and see everything.

No.

Only permit is within the city limits of Gatlinburg due to them using their hatchery. Outside of it is standard TN regs and requirements except for the GSMNP where all you need is a TN fishing license no stamp to trout fish.

That is a good area by the Apple Barn as well as the junction of the West Prong and East Prong down in Sevierville. You'll cross that by the shopping centers and old muscle car museum place as you make that first right turn heading into Sevierville from the interstate.

TroutFiend
09-24-2013, 08:34 AM
I see the museum, and the stream is right behind it as well as the fork. Do you know of any good parking spots?

Tightlines
09-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Great info! The best forum, thanks TK...

Travis C.
09-24-2013, 12:08 PM
I see the museum, and the stream is right behind it as well as the fork. Do you know of any good parking spots?

I've just parked in the shopping center both there are at the next bridge past that then walked to the river. Just be careful crossing the hwy at that spot.

Make sure you have some fluke style baits weightless. Chuck them as far as you can then skip them back and wait for the explosion. ;)

It really should be hot smallie action up there right now.

TroutFiend
09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Flukes... Check.
Thanks man!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Travis C.
09-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Flukes... Check.
Thanks man!

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

If you can take the standard size and the next size smaller. But if you are limited to one just go with standard.

Good luck!