PDA

View Full Version : Headed to White River

Alphahawk
09-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Tomorrow morning my son and I are headed for a two day fishing trip on the White River in Arkansas. Was going to do the Red River but Jeff Smith will be out of town so will hit that one next trip. This trip has been on my list for a long time and it is finally here. The car is packed and all is ready. Hopefully will have some fish pics to post when I return Saturday.

Regards

Travis C.
09-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Good luck you two!

Wish I could tag a long. That area is on my bucket list as well. Are you taking a bigger rod with the prototypes?

Alphahawk
09-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Good luck you two!

Wish I could tag a long. That area is on my bucket list as well. Are you taking a bigger rod with the prototypes?

No they are not quite yet ready. I do have his 2.5 Trout Crank.....about a dozen....the XCaliburs.....some cranks you recommend to me a while back....River Rockers......Bandit 100's....all kind of cranks.....LOL. According to browntrout all I will need is cranks and on his last trip out he was catching about 120 fish a day on those Trout Cranks 2.5 in the brown trout pattern.....impressed the guide so much he ordered a lot of them from Jeff. But yes I am taking a med-light rod strung with 6# test fluorocarbon to throw those XCaliburs on. Should handle the bigger browns nicely. This trip is already a success just because it is a trip with my son. I know you can relate to that even though you are on the other side of that coin now but someday when you are in your 60's you will be on my side of it and I am sure it will mean a lot.

Regards

Travis C.
09-10-2013, 05:19 PM
No they are not quite yet ready. I do have his 2.5 Trout Crank.....about a dozen....the XCaliburs.....some cranks you recommend to me a while back....River Rockers......Bandit 100's....all kind of cranks.....LOL. According to browntrout all I will need is cranks and on his last trip out he was catching about 120 fish a day on those Trout Cranks 2.5 in the brown trout pattern.....impressed the guide so much he ordered a lot of them from Jeff. But yes I am taking a med-light rod strung with 6# test fluorocarbon to throw those XCaliburs on. Should handle the bigger browns nicely. This trip is already a success just because it is a trip with my son. I know you can relate to that even though you are on the other side of that coin now but someday when you are in your 60's you will be on my side of it and I am sure it will mean a lot.

Regards

I can definitely relate.

Looks like you are geared up to do some damage. Don't be shocked to come back and say the River Rockers out fished them all. ;)

Alphahawk
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I can definitely relate.

Looks like you are geared up to do some damage. Don't be shocked to come back and say the River Rockers out fished them all. ;)

You may be right about that. browntrout tried them but he only had the big ones...and they are big. I am going to be trying the small ones. I know it can be a killer in the current.

Regards

browntrout
09-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Dude I hope y'all have a blast. Please leave me a few in the river since I will be out there the following week.

Roy

Transplanted Sportsman
09-11-2013, 08:22 AM
This trip is already a success just because it is a trip with my son. I know you can relate to that even though you are on the other side of that coin now but someday when you are in your 60's you will be on my side of it and I am sure it will mean a lot.

Regards

You are absolutely right Mr Randy!! good luck!!, be safe out there and wear them out!!!

MNfisher
09-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Good luck!!! And be safe!

cat-tales
09-11-2013, 01:27 PM
What part of the White are you fishing Alpha ?

Alphahawk
09-11-2013, 07:12 PM
What part of the White are you fishing Alpha ?

Fishing out of Norfork Trout Dock...going to fish both rivers.

Regards

Travis C.
09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
You may have to try you some of those "white river marabou jigs" while your out there too.

Maybe even pack some back for gills here.

Good luck again...Sore Lip Em All !

Alphahawk
09-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Am posting from phone. Had a great morning of fishing....lots of 13.....14 inch rainbows. Had a monster of a brown follow to the boat fishing early in the fog. Had a great shore lunch with 4 nice trout we caught. After lunch a small cold front came through and the fish shut off. We did not catch another fish the whole afternoon. The guide took us up in the North Fork. I tell you the water coming through there was cause for concern. One wrong move in that kind of current and it would be bad. My son had a fish on for about 10 seconds that was making his drag scream loaded with 8 pound test fluorocarbon......then it was gone. Tomorrow we will go about 8 miles upstream on the White and fish......but before we do that he wants to go to the spot that huge brown followed. The guide says he will be there again and we will try to get him before Sun gets too high. We had to use the XCalibur cranks because water is high. We saw Golden Eagle......Bald Eagle.....and since we are in Arkansas we saw a pack of wild Razor Backs on the river bank....pretty neat. Our guide is really working hard for us. Life is good.

Regards

MNfisher
09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a good first day! Get that big brown!!

Alphahawk
09-13-2013, 08:18 PM
An epic day for my son and I. We caught over 200 trout today using Trout Magnet Trout Worms with a white Power Egg while drifting. We kept our guide busy....lots of doubles. Our rainbows were between 13-15 inches with the occasional 17 inch fish. We also caught quite a few cut-bows.....a cross between rainbow and cutthroat. Not a lot of pics. Just too much going on to take fish pics unless it is trophy. The pic of my guide with fish I caught was not our biggest.....nor the pic of my son with a trout was his biggest. I never understood why browntrout had so few fish pics from out here. Now I know...there is just too much going on and you are catching fish so fast you want to get back in the water. Our guide is 68 years old and has been doing this for 30 years. It is hard work.....especially if you get the shore lunch. I will be out here again many times I hope. Hard to believe there is a 100 miles of river like this with trout stacked like cord wood. Was not the day for browns....no fog this morning....plus 30 boats headed to where we had the follows yesterday. We went opposite direction and didn't see another boat. The fish with pink fins is cut-bow. The other pics are of our view for lunch and water shots.

Regardshttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/a9usabe9.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/uzesazat.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/8a9ese5a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/14/e5ynupeb.jpg

Travis C.
09-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Awesome Alpha. You are going to need a week off of fishing after this trip.

The trout fishery as a whole there is kind of amazing since it ended up on limestone. That limestone aquifer creates a huge biomass.

Alphahawk
09-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Awesome Alpha. You are going to need a week off of fishing after this trip.

The trout fishery as a whole there is kind of amazing since it ended up on limestone. That limestone aquifer creates a huge biomass.

Yeah......funny drifting along seeing the limestone bottom and then gravel and then boulders. Lots of breaks holding fish....and TK If you are reading have much more appreciation of what you did. Good guiding is hard work.

Regards

browntrout
09-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Glad you had a great second day! Dave is the best guide out there in my opinion. He will work hard for you. Can't wait to get back out there week after next. Y'all have a safe trip back.

Roy

MNfisher
09-14-2013, 11:12 AM
That's great Alpha! Glad you got into them! Safe travels!