PDA

View Full Version : Best spots to wade fish

jallen67
09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Good afternoon yall. Just recently joined the forum and getting good ideas for fishing. I used to fish religiously in middle school/high school and stopped when I went to college and moved to Nashville. I'd say 90% of my fishing consisted of fishing ponds, rivers, and creeks as a kid. Luckily my neighborhood growing up had all of those because I didn't have access to a boat. I'm beginning to get back into fishing and have spent the last couple of weekends rummaging the Harpeth and the Little Harpeth. I've waded the end of the little harpeth and some of the Harpeth around the Hwy 100 access. It seems that some people on here are a little particular on giving up their wading spots but any suggestions would be very much appreciated. It would also help if some of you have some opinions on different baits that might work while wading. I live in Brentwood so the Harpeth is the quickest place for me to get in the water but other places would be nice too. It seems like one of the biggest issues for me is finding parking and actual access to the river too. A little guidance to a guy who's been out of fishing for a while would be greatly appreciated!

jad2t
09-10-2013, 04:21 PM
A great way to find wadeable water is checkout the water that flows along greenway trails at all the parks scattered around the middle TN area. I've found lots of great wading creeks that way. When I do go creek wading, I strictly use trout magnets and 2lb test. I'd flyfish if I could find areas without so many trees that like to steal my flies from me. I haven't caught any really large fish, smallmouth about 8" about as big as it gets, but I get a lot of numbers that way. Sometimes approaching 30-40 fish in an hour.

Alphahawk
09-10-2013, 04:41 PM
A great way to find wadeable water is checkout the water that flows along greenway trails at all the parks scattered around the middle TN area. I've found lots of great wading creeks that way. When I do go creek wading, I strictly use trout magnets and 2lb test. I'd flyfish if I could find areas without so many trees that like to steal my flies from me. I haven't caught any really large fish, smallmouth about 8" about as big as it gets, but I get a lot of numbers that way. Sometimes approaching 30-40 fish in an hour.

I tell you Jimmy when I get into a bunch of 8 and 9 inch Smallies on the 2# test just ain't much more fun than that.

Regards

fatherof4
09-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Mill Creek was always great for me-tiny brush hogs on jigs and motor oil color sliders on orange jigs-be patient and hold on. If you are not a snake lover stay home.

Alphahawk
09-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Mill Creek was always great for me-tiny brush hogs on jigs and motor oil color sliders on orange jigs-be patient and hold on. If you are not a snake lover stay home.

No one will ever have to worry about me and Sambolie wading Mill Creek then.....LOL.

REGARDS

SAMBOLIE
09-10-2013, 08:28 PM
No one will ever have to worry about me and Sambolie wading Mill Creek then.....LOL.

REGARDS

You got that right.:D

wordty
09-10-2013, 08:43 PM
When you do this, do you use a bobber or are you in streams that are too shallow for a bobber? What about the little TM split shots? Thanks!

Travis C.
09-10-2013, 08:47 PM

REGARDS

Can't be worse than the Duck..they have a snake hatchery next to the fish one and supply the state as well. :D

Alphahawk
09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Can't be worse than the Duck..they have a snake hatchery next to the fish one and supply the state as well. :D

Yeah I don't go over by Cortners Mill. When the locals tell you they don't go there because of snakes you know it's bad.

Regards

Travis C.
09-10-2013, 08:59 PM
It seems like one of the biggest issues for me is finding parking and actual access to the river too.

That is one of the unfortunate cards dealt these days with creeks. People have either trashed one too many or land has changed ownership so much that access is dwindling to a lot of really good streams. I had two streams with really good smallies in them. One had several 2lb fish and some 3-4lb fish and the other well it was not a shock to catch one pushing 5lbs. But both streams are blocked up and hard as hell to get access to now due to knuckleheads.

Outside of live bait (crayfish or chubs), I'd go with a 1/8 oz slider head jig on a pumpkin 4" Zoom Lizard, torpedo cast way ahead of you either down or upstream depending where your going and a small fluke weightless. Those for bass and Trout Mags for everything else with some bonus bass if they hit it.

jallen67
09-11-2013, 06:32 AM
I guess when yall are talking about tm you're referring to this? http://www.troutmagnet.com/. I'd actually never heard of them until I started looking at this forum. Is their any difference between these and the crappie magnets? The only thing I've caught anything on at the Hwy 100 access is a twistie tail grub and a white zoom shad. I definitely will try the tm. Do you know what colors would be best to start out with? I mainly want to worry about numbers right now. I don't think I've ever caught to keep unless I was with someone on a boat. Mainly want to have fun and get out and explore.

I'll definitely look at some of the green ways and explore that option.

Is there places to park around Mills Creek? Snakes don't bother me much. I've had my fare share of run ins with copperheads. Plus it's about to start cooling down so they're less worry some.

I'd also like to possibly go with some guys to learn a little more about fishing and get some first hand pointers if anyone's up for a fishing partner.

My knowledge of tackle is strictly what worked in the ponds and creeks that I fished in when I was young. Mainly rooster tails and trick worms. Haha. Any time yall mention tackle I usually have to look it up to see what you're talking about but I'm very appreciative of the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

wordty
09-11-2013, 07:43 AM
The crappie magnets are just bigger...made by the same company and in many of the same colors...but bigger and use a bigger jig.

jad2t
09-11-2013, 07:59 AM
When you do this, do you use a bobber or are you in streams that are too shallow for a bobber? What about the little TM split shots? Thanks!

I don't use a bobber ever with the magnets, just a splitshot about a foot above the lure and the twitching method.

jallen67
09-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Anywhere around Nashville sell the TMs? I was at Dick's this weekend and didn't see any.

creekcrappie
09-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Anywhere around Nashville sell the TMs? I was at Dick's this weekend and didn't see any.

Bass pro and Academy sell a few colors.

jad2t
09-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Bass Pro has them but not all the colors. Honestly I'd just order them from troutmagnet.com

They're super quick with shipping, usually two days.

robhal11
09-13-2013, 01:24 PM
I Agree, order directly from the TM guys, you will have them in just a few days.