PDA

View Full Version : Hooks for Carolina Rig - Size and Type

wordty
08-30-2013, 08:53 AM
I know it depends on just what I'm throwing, but what is a good start on buying hooks for throwing the C-Rig? About a 4/0??? Also, what type hook...EWG, short, long...the selection of even one size hook is overwhelming....are H20 Express hooks good or should I go with Gamakatsu? I bought some red Carolina Keepers and beads, so it looks like I just need to pick a weight of sinker and a hook and go for it. Thanks for any hook suggestions (be specific on type / size please).

Reel Tune
08-30-2013, 11:54 AM
All depends on what I'm throwing. I use Owner J Lights for Carolina rigging. 4/0 for 7" and less and go up to 7/0 for baits up to 12". I like the lights because I feel I get good penetration.

Jeremy

TNBronzeback
08-30-2013, 02:18 PM
I have had great sucess with Gamakatsu Hooks. I use them from crappie to stripers with live bait and i buy thier trebles to put on my hardbaits, i also buy my leadheads with Gamakatsu hooks as well. Some people love em, some people despise them! lol.
I have no complaints though.

Travis C.
08-30-2013, 06:29 PM
What are you throwing on it?

I like 4/0 or 5/0 (4's for 6" less, 5's for 6" over to 10.5") for about all my bass soft plastic's. The thin wire hook seems better for most situations. Weights, I use 1 oz egg sinker most all the time on Carolina rigs for bass with bass baits. If its finesse on spinning gear it will be downsized hooks and split shot over a egg sinker or just use a drop shot setup instead.

Brands are preferential it just needs to be sharp. Put the hook point on your thumb nail and if it will stick it dragging across then that's a sharp point. If it just slides across or scratches a little then its not as sharp as the others. You can get the best brand with sharpest hooks on the market but after a few encounters with structure the tip can be dulled. Need to keep check and either have a hook hone or swap them out.