PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Red Cajun Fishing Line

jimj3561
08-26-2013, 12:22 PM
I bought a rod/reel combo for my son and its spooled with that Red Cajun line - should I leave it on or re-spool with something else? Any luck with the red line?

Saltwaterwalt
08-27-2013, 08:55 AM
I've used it. Seems to be a middle of the road line, not cheap, not premium, but the red color does really disappear when it goes underwater.

Going back to my old scuba diving lessons, one part they covered (I think for underwater photography really) was that red is the first color on the spectrum to disappear as you submerge. I think thats why they're using red hooks now, not for sure if there's another reason, so pipe in on this subject, but I know this... watch your crankbaits as you retrieve back to the boat and you'll see the ones with red hooks are almost invisible compared to the silver hooks.

jimj3561
08-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Interesting for sure - I may keep the Red line and observe more closely. Also nice tip on the red hooks. I'll give it a go-

Travis C.
08-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I have used it on several rods. The larger diameter 12lb-14lb was great to cast, seemed pretty limp and tough to break. The smaller diameter 4-6lb was very memory prone and twisted all to hell. Also if you use black lights at night it won't glow.

Saltwaterwalt is right on the color spectrum. Red will lose it "red" and seem more brown or dull. You will notice this in the ocean on coral reefs where everything is muted but once it surfaces it pops with vibrant color. Of course light penetration will effect it as well.

http://www.educatedangler.com/images/stories/color_graph.jpg

We had a good chat on this a while back:

http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=3972

bd-
09-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Note that although red light "disappears" from the spectrum when you go deeper than about 6 to 10 feet, that doesn't mean red things are invisible. The red just looks dark brownish. If you have ever gone deep underwater either diving or in a sub with ambient light, you've seen this firsthand.

So the cajun line isn't truly invisible underwater. It just turns kind of brownish. Some fish don't care about high-vis lines - after all, Stren used to be bright fluoroescent yellow years ago, and it caught fish. But line shy fish still may shy away from the brown line.

If you want line that's truly invisible underwater, clear fluorocarbon is what you want.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2