PDA

View Full Version : Yak'd the VFW

ditz1
08-16-2013, 10:46 AM
took the Yak to the VFW yesterday. This was the first time I have had the yak in the water and I struggled with positioning. Guess I need an anchor. The gill had a lot more patience than I did. They wanted the spider cast and not moved. Sometimes for a long time. I missed a lot of hits while gawking around at my surroundings. Only brought one gill to the boat and it was a nice 8" one that came out of a downfall. He tried to get back in amongst the limbs but the 5wt kept him out. Not sure I could have done that with the 2wt. ....The water was very green and dingy. I took the 5wt hoping to find some carp but alas, none was sighted. Only fished 2 or 3 hours.

Reel Tune
08-16-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm glad you got out. Fishing from a kayak is a learning experience, but after a few trips its like walking, it's no problem and enjoyable. Txnative fly fishes from the yak a lot, or very experienced with it.

Jeremy

Alphahawk
08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
took the Yak to the VFW yesterday. This was the first time I have had the yak in the water and I struggled with positioning. Guess I need an anchor. The gill had a lot more patience than I did. They wanted the spider cast and not moved. Sometimes for a long time. I missed a lot of hits while gawking around at my surroundings. Only brought one gill to the boat and it was a nice 8" one that came out of a downfall. He tried to get back in amongst the limbs but the 5wt kept him out. Not sure I could have done that with the 2wt. ....The water was very green and dingy. I took the 5wt hoping to find some carp but alas, none was sighted. Only fished 2 or 3 hours.

The water gets that color this time of year there from the fertilizer. They do that to keep the moss down. If not that water will be as clear as the Caney. Sounds like you enjoyed the day.

Regards

ditz1
08-17-2013, 11:18 AM
You bet Alpha...I did enjoy the day. I always my time on the water unless it comes a thunderstorm. I don't care for being caught out in the lightning. Got caught in the middle of a golf course once and it was ugly and scarey. Lightning was hitting all around and the wind blew so hard that it was bending big trees way over. An experience that I hope to not duplicate.