PDA

View Full Version : Smallie

porman2006
08-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Went night fishing in my kayak, on the Hallow Saturday night. Caught this 18.75' smallie before the heavens opened up.

Alphahawk
08-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Nice fat Smallie.

Regards

porman2006
08-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Yes, he was, AlphaHawk. I caught a green trash fish and missed two others. They all came on clay banks with grass I was fishing a tube

Jdkxtreme
08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Yes, he was, AlphaHawk. I caught a green trash fish and missed two others. They all came on clay banks with grass I was fishing a tube

What's a green trash fish?

Alphahawk
08-11-2013, 09:18 PM
I sure he will answer but that would be a "largemouth bass" LOL.

Regards

porman2006
08-11-2013, 11:00 PM
A green trash fish is a large mouth bass 😉. You're correct AlphaHawk

Jdkxtreme
08-11-2013, 11:30 PM
A green trash fish is a large mouth bass ��. You're correct AlphaHawk

One man's trash is another man's treasure's.

tkwalker
08-12-2013, 02:01 AM
A green trash fish is a large mouth bass ��. You're correct AlphaHawk

Porman .... Theres is no such thing as a Trash Fish .... Even if you are catching Bowfin ... or Shooting carp with a Bow and arrow ... Some fishermen seek these species ... Yes Large Mouth Bass has been the hype of sports fishermen for 50 years and a billion $$ business ... Why do you feel a Large mouth is inferior to a small Mouth ... Infact all of my trips to the Boundary Waters of Canada ... The Guides always catches Smallies for our Shore Lunch because they are considered "Trash Fish" in respect to the Walleyes ...

I have seen dozens of 25 pound plus Stripers caught and left on the bank in Carthage from the Caney because they are considered Trash fish from the locals ...

To some a statement like this offends your fellow members ... Good thing you don't fish the Cumberland River Chain ... Or the TRUE Bass The Striper may hook up with you and water ski you and your yak to New Orleans for offending his cousin ... <'TK>< :)

MNfisher
08-12-2013, 05:03 AM
I think its all just fun and games. All the musky guys called them green carp up north.

agelesssone
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Only in the south is the smallmouth a "revered" fish. I think they taste
just as good as a largemouth!

Reel Tune
08-12-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm sure it was meant as a joke. I just spent the weekend in East Tennessee and those brown fish are so much more fun than the green fish.

Jeremy

txnative
08-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Porman is my brother-in-law, and I can tell you he is 100% joking. He grew up fishing for largemouth, his father fished Redman bass tournaments, me and him fish for largemouth a lot, and we are planning a Guntersville trip for largemouth.

That being said, when targeting smallies on Dale Hollow, largemouth, especially in the lower end (there aren't normally many lm bass on the lower end), sort of "get in the way." This sentiment shouldn't be lost on anyone. How many of us have been targeting bass and had a drum "get in the way" ?

Bottom line is that he said it tongue-in-cheek. Offending anyone was the last thing he meant to do. On the flip side of this coin, being offended by this might be being a little too thin-skinned. I don't see the need in getting offended if one person's favorite/preferred species is not your own.

Chris

PS: TK, Porman has been towed by stripers. I've converted him to a striper fisherman. We chase other species to pass the time until conditions are right for our favorite striper spots.

tkwalker
08-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Porman is my brother-in-law, and I can tell you he is 100% joking. He grew up fishing for largemouth, his father fished Redman bass tournaments, me and him fish for largemouth a lot, and we are planning a Guntersville trip for largemouth.

That being said, when targeting smallies on Dale Hollow, largemouth, especially in the lower end (there aren't normally many lm bass on the lower end), sort of "get in the way." This sentiment shouldn't be lost on anyone. How many of us have been targeting bass and had a drum "get in the way" ?

Bottom line is that he said it tongue-in-cheek. Offending anyone was the last thing he meant to do. On the flip side of this coin, being offended by this might be being a little too thin-skinned. I don't see the need in getting offended if one person's favorite/preferred species is not your own.

Chris

PS: TK, Porman has been towed by stripers. I've converted him to a striper fisherman. We chase other species to pass the time until conditions are right for our favorite striper spots.

Now that this is all cleared up, let's get back to fishing no matter what species .... <'TK><:)

jad2t
08-12-2013, 11:39 AM
If you really want to have some fun you should mention those "rainbow colored and brown/red and black spotted trash fish in the Caney Fork". That's the best way to get everyone up in arms.

Travis C.
08-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Nice smallmouth.

rsimms
08-12-2013, 02:58 PM
I love forum threads that go sideways based on one word (or phrase). ;)

Nice fish Porman.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zoOn_cU-WvA/UK5D2Ege_rI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/RexPHbSxkk0/s1600/crying.jpeg

MNfisher
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Lol, nice pic!

agelesssone
08-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Those green fish ain't nuthin but overgrowed sunfish. Don't believe me? Look it up on Google.

Oh, and the brown fish is too. Wikipedia lists a bunch of other names for/them.....they forgot to add "trashfish" to the list....or "shore lunchers".

SAMBOLIE
08-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Those green fish ain't nuthin but overgrowed sunfish. Don't believe me? Look it up on Google.

Oh, and the brown fish is too. Wikipedia lists a bunch of other names for/them.....they forgot to add "trashfish" to the list....or "shore lunchers".

Crappie should be spelled crappy. Danged old paper mouth tears out when I set the hook using 2lb test on my salt water rig. ;)

porman2006
08-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes, I said it in jest

Transplanted Sportsman
08-13-2013, 07:14 PM

Chris

I loved the way you put it out Chris, nothing like telling the truth!!, back home the carp is king baby!!! they grow big, they eat anything, you can find them just about anywhere, and they put a great fight, for those who don't know how to fix them on the table let me tell ya!!, they are a delicacy and I would rank them right up near the top, so i agree with the statement one man's trash fish is another man's treasure so thtt being said I'm an equal oportunity catcher although most of the times i just fish and only catch a few lol!!!
porman, nice smallie by the way!!

agelesssone
08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Got to Europe, CARP is king over there. They have expensive rigs and equipment for fishing over there that would make you faint at the prices. It's like a cult. Kill a carp, go to jail.....if the local fishermen don't beat you to death before the "Policei" get there.

So what is HOT here may not be SQUAT somewhere else. So we've just all got to be considerate of everyone else's foibles and respect their beliefs in the brown and green trash fish!! They are at least pretty good table fare if nothing else.

HA!

Alphahawk
08-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Got to Europe, CARP is king over there. They have expensive rigs and equipment for fishing over there that would make you faint at the prices. It's like a cult. Kill a carp, go to jail.....if the local fishermen don't beat you to death before the "Policei" get there.

So what is HOT here may not be SQUAT somewhere else. So we've just all got to be considerate of everyone else's foibles and respect their beliefs in the brown and green trash fish!! They are at least pretty good table fare if nothing else.

HA!

Order fish in a guest house in Germany and you are going to be eating carp....pretty darn good too. Yep carp is a very big deal there.

regards