PDA

View Full Version : Alabama/Tennessee rig

creekcrappie
07-31-2013, 03:33 PM
I am thinking about buying the yum 3 wire rig, or the bass pro shops war path rig. Is the umbrella rig as big of a deal as it looks to be? Can I catch fish just as well with another lure as this one? Where and when should I fish it? I know you can only have 3 lures on it in Tennessee. Thanks in advance.

Reel Tune
08-01-2013, 07:11 AM
The Tennessee/Alabama Rig is a good lure, but so are a bunch of others. It's all about using it in the right place at the right time. You must learn those times when it will be effective, what size and color is needed for the application, just like any other lure.

In no means I would not say it's a magical lure. I've had my best luck with them in the early spring when I find schooling baitfish. I like running it in a little deeper water 10-15', which by all means is not deep, but that's considered deep compared to how I normally fish.

I have a few with no real prefrence of one over the other. When I use it I like to throw 5" Money Minnows on it, but any paddle tail will work, as I've used Zooms, and Big Hammers also.

Jeremy

jad2t
08-01-2013, 07:17 AM
The only thing keeping me from trying these out is knowing how mad I will be if I get one hung up and just tossed 20 bucks in the water.

txnative
08-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I throw one in situations similar to midtnkayakangler, but I also like them below dams and other turbulent water locations. It's a pain in the kayak, but having 10-15 pounds of stripers on at the same time is a lot of fun !

Chris