PDA

View Full Version : Longboat Key/Anna Maria Island, Florida

MNfisher
07-30-2013, 08:08 PM
I just returned from a week vacation in Florida for my wifes grandmas 90th birthday. It was a great fun family vacation and saw many family members that we havent in several years! Well i did get to head out fishing on 3 different occasions. The first night I met up with a friend and guide from Fort Desoto. We met at the Sunshine Skyway bridge near Tampa Bay. We had a pretty fast out going tide and we waded out several hundred yards. We were tossing Spook Jrs on the way out. It sure didnt take long and I had an absolutely huge explosion followed by my drag peeling line like crazy! Shortly after several long runs, I landed my first decent Jack Crevalle, about a 7-8 lber! I had a few other epic explosions on the spook, including a big cobia waking behing my spook, but it never hit...that would have been epic! I landed a few decent speckled trout and the kicker was right as the sun was hitting the trees, we got to the top of the clam bar that was only about a foot deep. There were several redfish up there, but they wanted nothing to do with anything we were tossing. Then there was a HUGE wake cruising across the flat, I had a small suspending jerkbait on called a rip n slash (great baits!) Since the wake was coming straight at us, I casted past it and reeled quickly from behind it and came across it and kept reeling, it flew up and absolutely crushed it! After a great battle, I had my personal best snook at 36"! That was the last fish of the night.

The next morning I met another friend at the boat launch, our target was going to be grouper offshore, but unfortunately the morning greeted us with 20-30 mph winds. We never left the pass and stayed inshore all day. But we did manage several small grouper, several keeper mangrove snapper, and once the tide hit peak, we hit a deep dock and the redfish were STACKED in there! In 2 hours we caught 42 redfish and the smallest was 24" and biggest was 29 1/2". Most were in that 27-29" range. Absolutely awesome! Caught my first barracuda too, just a little guy!

Then next morning again we went out and fished a rockpile inshore along the channel edge. We were surprised by some keeper gag grouper! Which is pretty rare for this time of year. Most people go 10 miles or more offshore to get them! Then back to the dock we went and pulled another dozen redfish out of it. Then we finished the day off with some nice trout on a flat.

I really have a passion for saltwater fishing and hope to get back soon!

jad2t
07-30-2013, 08:54 PM
Man that is a weekend to remember!! I miss Florida flats fishing so much, I'm dying to go back. One of these weekends, probably not until next Summer, I'll be making the long haul to the panhandle area with the yak to float flats for reds, snook, and maybe take a sleigh ride courtesy of a tarpon.

Alphahawk
07-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Great report Mike and congrats. Great pics......and nice fish.

Reports

txnative
07-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Mike,

Me, you, jad2t, geckel, and the rest of the kayak fishermen should bug midtnkayakangler to organize a trip to Fl...he's good at setting up trips and I don't mind volunteering him at all :D

Chris

Travis C.
07-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Mike,

Me, you, jad2t, geckel, and the rest of the kayak fishermen should bug midtnkayakangler to organize a trip to Fl...he's good at setting up trips and I don't mind volunteering him at all :D

Chris

You all should do that but wait until a tailwater stops generation for a couple weeks.

I'll hold the fort down here... :D

Reel Tune
07-31-2013, 08:13 AM
Wow Mike, that is a great report, and awesome pictures. That Snook is sick.

I could set something up, but it would have to be next year. I might be able to do something (4 day) in Lousiana for some monster Reds (40") this fall/early winter talking November or so. I have 3 days vacation left I think for the year. We did it last year 1st week of November, and it was awesome.

Jeremy

txnative
07-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Next year works best for me. I have a Disney World trip in September and a wedding in west TX in November, so in tapped on vacation for this year.

By the way, I will be fishing the lakes at Disney World again this trip. If anyone has a trip planned or is wanting to plan one, definitely take advantage of the guided bass trips. They have an option of pontoon or bass boat, live shiners or artificials, and are very family friendly. My father-in-law and I caught a bunch of bass, and since we both fish a lot already, our guide even got to fish...that's probably why he kept us out two hours longer than he should have, lol.

Chris

MNfisher
07-31-2013, 10:21 AM
You all should do that but wait until a tailwater stops generation for a couple weeks.

I'll hold the fort down here... :D

Oh I see how it is, you want said tail water all to yourself! :D

I would love to do a November LA bull red trip! May have to wait til next year though.

Travis C.
07-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Nice ocean fishy's by the way Mike.

I wished I could have done something like that on my last trip to the coast. Maybe next time.

Travis C.
07-31-2013, 10:43 AM
Oh I see how it is, you want said tail water all to yourself! :D

I would love to do a November LA bull red trip! May have to wait til next year though.

:D

Come on guys... Make it happen.

November will work great for me. :p

Reel Tune
07-31-2013, 01:30 PM
I have an epic trip in my head.

Leave Nashville 1500 October 24th and drive to Grand Isle, La. Arrive at Grand Isle around 0300 Friday, and either go straight to fishing or get so sleep and hit the evening bite. Fish in Grand Isle, La. Saturday, and Sunday. We could even hit the backwaters for mid sized reds in the 22-28" range on the fly. Fish targeted (Bull Reds, Big Uglies, Sharks)

Monday head out of Grand Isle around 0600, and drive to Tampa, Fl arriving around 2000. Fish Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Fish targeted (Gator Trout, mid sized Reds, and Snook).

Friday around 0600 leave Tampa and head to Panacea, Fl for Big Uglies, Door Mats, and mid to Bull sized Reds. Fish Friday evening, all day Saturday, and until around noon Sunday. Sunday around noon head back to Tennessee arriving in the early evening.

Another option is skipping out on Tampa, or Panacea, Fl and hitting Pensacola, Fl instead. for a little bridge and deep water fishing.

This is only a 2300/2500 mile round trip. I done one last November to Grand Isle, Corpus Christi, Tyler/Mineola TX, Alabama then Mcminnville, TN back home that was around 6,000 miles and it was a blast.

Jeremy

MNfisher
07-31-2013, 02:14 PM

Leave Nashville 1500 October 24th and drive to Grand Isle, La. Arrive at Grand Isle around 0300 Friday, and either go straight to fishing or get so sleep and hit the evening bite. Fish in Grand Isle, La. Saturday, and Sunday. We could even hit the backwaters for mid sized reds in the 22-28" range on the fly. Fish targeted (Bull Reds, Big Uglies, Sharks)

Monday head out of Grand Isle around 0600, and drive to Tampa, Fl arriving around 2000. Fish Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Fish targeted (Gator Trout, mid sized Reds, and Snook).

Friday around 0600 leave Tampa and head to Panacea, Fl for Big Uglies, Door Mats, and mid to Bull sized Reds. Fish Friday evening, all day Saturday, and until around noon Sunday. Sunday around noon head back to Tennessee arriving in the early evening.

Another option is skipping out on Tampa, or Panacea, Fl and hitting Pensacola, Fl instead. for a little bridge and deep water fishing.

This is only a 2300/2500 mile round trip. I done one last November to Grand Isle, Corpus Christi, Tyler/Mineola TX, Alabama then Mcminnville, TN back home that was around 6,000 miles and it was a blast.

Jeremy

Thats a dream trip right there! I would be interested! For next year that is.

Reel Tune
07-31-2013, 02:20 PM
I was thinking this October.

Jeremy

TNtransplant08
07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
I envy you man. Looks like you had a blast and you had great pictures to prove it. I wish I could try saltwater fishing more. Last fall in SC was the first time I tried it. Didn't catch much, but it was still a lot of fun fishing in the surf for blues. We're thinking about heading to Savannah (never been) in two years, hopefully I'll get to try again. Fall 2014, we're heading back to Alaska for our 10 year anniversary. Hoping to get a halibut fishing trip in. Always wanted to catch some barn doors!

txnative
07-31-2013, 06:07 PM

Jeremy

When do we fit in the jack crevalle ???

Chris

MNfisher
07-31-2013, 06:17 PM
I was thinking this October.

Jeremy

I thought I only had 3 days vacation left?

MNfisher
07-31-2013, 06:19 PM

Chris

I am pretty sure Louisiana has some pretty good sized ones:)

Reel Tune
08-01-2013, 07:17 AM
I thought I only had 3 days vacation left?

The week I would start I will have my 40hrs in by Wednesday 1500, so Thursday and Friday are optional for me. Thursday I have to work unless I let the other guys have it. So I figure I'll go ahead and work Thursday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday I'll have off, I just got another Attendence Bonus Day so I'd use that Monday, and I looked at the Vacation Utility and I have 4 Vacation Days left for the year, and then coupled with the following weekend BAM 10 days.

Jeremy

jad2t
08-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Chris

Definitely can't overlook those! I'd say those are the absolute strongest fighting fish on the planet (pound for pound). I used to eat the bigger ones. They're actually pretty good if you remove that read meat similar to what you do for white bass.

Reel Tune
08-01-2013, 07:24 AM
I am pretty sure Louisiana has some pretty good sized ones:)

I've never caught a Jack Crevelle, but if Mike says Louisiana has them I'm sure he's right. I know on the Atlantic side of Florida they have some monsters around the Space Coast.

Jeremy

MNfisher
08-01-2013, 09:04 AM
The week I would start I will have my 40hrs in by Wednesday 1500, so Thursday and Friday are optional for me. Thursday I have to work unless I let the other guys have it. So I figure I'll go ahead and work Thursday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday I'll have off, I just got another Attendence Bonus Day so I'd use that Monday, and I looked at the Vacation Utility and I have 4 Vacation Days left for the year, and then coupled with the following weekend BAM 10 days.

Jeremy

Nice work!

MNfisher
08-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Definitely can't overlook those! I'd say those are the absolute strongest fighting fish on the planet (pound for pound). I used to eat the bigger ones. They're actually pretty good if you remove that read meat similar to what you do for white bass.

You would eat anything Jimmy! I suppose you ate bonito too? :D

txnative
08-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Jimmy could be the new Mikey (*old reference alert*)

Chris

jad2t
08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Never fished deep enough water to catch Bonito! Always was flats fishing and we'd head out to 7-10' feet of water to get our limit of seatrout...which are also great eating :D

It's not a secret that I fish for food as much as I do for the sport. I'd be disqualified from any of the C.P.R. kayak tournaments because if I want to take a bass home, I will.

MNfisher
08-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Sea trout....yes....jack....NO :D

creeksmallie
08-03-2013, 08:10 AM
Awesome Michael, Cover shot contest with Coastal Angler and Angler.
Check it out in this months issue already in the Nashville area.
Mboro and Clarksville by Tuesday.

We need to get out again also maybe week of 12th. I got a neat afternoon yak trip also.
Mike