PDA

View Full Version : My newest toy

Jdkxtreme
07-28-2013, 10:47 PM
So. My wife was sick for 3 days and I was bored so I spent a bit too much time in the barter section on Craig's list. I ended up with a pull behind smoker. I have never smoked anything. Tried it out this weekend. Pics attached

tkwalker
07-28-2013, 11:53 PM
So. My wife was sick for 3 days and I was bored so I spent a bit too much time in the barter section on Craig's list. I ended up with a pull behind smoker. I have never smoked anything. Tried it out this weekend. Pics attached

Jeremy, Put JD down to be the smoker man at our next Gathering ... JD ... No excuses !! <'TK>< :)

Alphahawk
07-29-2013, 12:00 AM
That's some good looking meat. Man that is a serious trailer under that smoker...LOL.

Regards

JandSCattleCo
07-29-2013, 06:51 AM
I might need to rent that from you when my FFA chapter has out Boston Butt fundraiser in October!

Jdkxtreme
07-29-2013, 08:04 AM
I did chicken on it yesterday. I did not like it. I think I had it too smoky. It was my first time ever smoking anything. I am not opposed to renting it out to people that wont tear it up. I really want a cooker that size instead of a smoker.

Reel Tune
07-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Jeremy, Put JD down to be the smoker man at our next Gathering ... JD ... No excuses !! <'TK>< :)

Noted.

Jdk,

The key is to smoke for the 1st qtr and then just low heat 225-250, another tip is consistant temperatures. When we smoke we'll use wood chips for the 1st 2-3hrs and then just low heat, with ribs we will wrap them in aluminum foil after 4hrs of an 8-10hr smoke, and smother the ribs in BBQ sauce before wrapping in foil.

Jeremy

Jdkxtreme
07-29-2013, 08:51 AM
I think not using foil was my problem. This was the first time for me. I did not use chips at all since the fire box is big enough for whole pieces. I did not use any wet wood because what I used was this years wood and it seemed smokey enough. I think had I used foil I would have been in heaven.

tkwalker
07-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Noted.

Jdk,

The key is to smoke for the 1st qtr and then just low heat 225-250, another tip is consistant temperatures. When we smoke we'll use wood chips for the 1st 2-3hrs and then just low heat, with ribs we will wrap them in aluminum foil after 4hrs of an 8-10hr smoke, and smother the ribs in BBQ sauce before wrapping in foil.

Jeremy

Jeremy ... what do you season with or what type of Rub ?? <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune
07-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Jeremy ... what do you season with or what type of Rub ?? <'TK>< :)

A little bit of this, a little bit of that.:)

Sorry, can't give that one up, it's never the same twice, but mostly the same ingredients for the same types of meat. My mom doesn't even have my recipes, I have to come up and grill and smoke for her because I won't give it up, and Sarah has given up trying to watch me to figure it out. I season different meats differently butts, ribs, poultry. I do most chickens and turkey the same, or pretty close.

Jeremy

Transplanted Sportsman
07-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Dang man you had me (still do) drooling over that meat!! pretty cool toy indeed!!
Jeremy, I think next gathering we will hog tie you and feed you super hot mexican sauce until you spill the beans on the rubs, spices and marinades!!:D Lol!!

tkwalker
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Jeremy, Tried your rib method tonight ... I make a pretty good rub and Q-Sause but I did not seal the aluminum foil good enough and a lost most of my sauce ... Good and tender ...had to pick the ribs (half rack) up with a spatula because everything would just fall apart ... grab a bone and a little jerk and all you had was meat ...Laid the bone on the plate ..

Do you use this method for Boston Butts ??? <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune
08-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Great to hear TK. I do loose some of the sauce in the aluminum foil, and with ribs I'll do a couple wet, and a couple dry when I do them. I wrap both after a few hrs of smoking to keep the moisture in.

Boston Butts I dry rub only, but I make the rub up 36hrs ahead of time and rub it down. Then I wrap the butt in saran wrap and throw it in the fridge until smoking time. I smoke with the fat on top so the juices run over the meat and soak into it. After smoking I let it sit for at least an hour before cutting or pulling it. I then let people add what kind of sauce if any when they serve it.

Jeremy

bfish
08-02-2013, 04:08 PM
For butts I seldom wrap, unless my bark gets too dark. Take it to 190 for slicing and 205 for pulling. Once removed from the heat, I do wrap and let rest for at least an hour. Sometimes I will remove from heat and wrap then place in cooler (fill extra space with newspaper or rags) to keep warm till serving time (stays warm for up to 8 hours).