PDA

View Full Version : Clinch river

geckel
07-27-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm going to Knoxville next weekend and plan to fish for big trout on the clinch. Do any of you guys have experience with this body of water? What sections are safe for a bass boat and where is there a good chance to find big trout? Any and all advice is very much appreciated. Thanks

tcintn
07-27-2013, 05:42 PM
I have asked a good friend from that area to give advice.
If he is around and not involved in one of his projects

bfish
07-27-2013, 07:28 PM
I would not take a fiberglass bass boat on any of the trout sections of the Clinch, regardless of generation.

There are sections that are doable, at full generation, in jon boats. Run up from the various ramps to the next shoal and drift/electric motor back to ramp is usually the safest, although some drift down and motor back up at the end (Just don't get caught with falling water).

For low water, drift boats, rafts, prams etc are the way to go.

geckel
07-27-2013, 09:57 PM
I would not take a fiberglass bass boat on any of the trout sections of the Clinch, regardless of generation.

There are sections that are doable, at full generation, in jon boats. Run up from the various ramps to the next shoal and drift/electric motor back to ramp is usually the safest, although some drift down and motor back up at the end (Just don't get caught with falling water).

For low water, drift boats, rafts, prams etc are the way to go.

Thank you for sharing...i was starting to think that this should be a kayak trip. Where specifically does the river become navigable? I ask because I've heard of big trout being as far down as the I-75 bridge.

bfish
07-27-2013, 10:42 PM
My best guess is somewhere below 61.

I usually fish around the Peach Orchard access when I get invited to go in my buddy's gheenoe.

fatherof4
07-28-2013, 04:30 PM
We have had so much rain- worrying about your fiberglass boat hitting bottom will be the least of your concern. PM me and i'll give you my TWRA buddy that works that section of the Clinch.

geckel
07-28-2013, 05:36 PM
We have had so much rain- worrying about your fiberglass boat hitting bottom will be the least of your concern. PM me and i'll give you my TWRA buddy that works that section of the Clinch.

Sent pm