PDA

View Full Version : Cape San Blas

jmsjordan
07-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Heading here for the first time this October with the boat. Will be staying on the south end of St Joseph Bay, but on the Gulf Side. Has anyone been fishing here before? I assume to catch the specs I need to be in the Bay, just not sure if they would be in the back of the Bay in the shallows or in the channel. Flounder would be a bonus and not afraid of some reds or sharks either. I will be trying Gulf fishing as well. What should I target and what are some good ideas for presentations?
Thanks
James

Reel Tune
07-12-2013, 08:51 AM
I've never fished there, but have spent some time fishing Panama City Beach, Destin, and Pensacola. We are making our first trip to Cape San Blas next friday. Our targeted species will be reds, trout and flounder. Hoping to get on our first Tarpon, but that is just hopes. There have been several this year in the area landed from the kayak. We will also be scalloping in the bay. I've done a lot of research, and feel pretty preparred. I'll have a report up shortly after we get back. I don't really know if you can use the same game plan in October as Ju;y though as the water temps will be cooling off.

Jeremy

jmsjordan
07-12-2013, 09:30 PM
I wish we could get some scallops to, season will close a couple weeks before we go. I heard they are in the back of the bay behind Black Island.
There is a good map of the bay and other areas..google "charts noaa 11393". I know in other area's I've fished, in summer they are in the channels except dusk and dawn. as water cools the move and stay shallow more. DOA shrimp in the bomb! cant wait to hear how it goes

skeeternavigator
07-14-2013, 07:13 AM
I was there last week and watched a guy catch a nice amberjack, see gps.

29°40'34.88" N 85°21'46.23" W

jmsjordan
07-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I will check it out, did you have any luck?

skeeternavigator
07-15-2013, 06:45 AM
I was just driving around and happened to stop at this spot. I wasn't fishing just a spectator.

Reel Tune
07-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Well we're back. It is very difficult to turn a family vacation into a fishing vacation. The 1st day we took a charter trip out because Sarah had never done that. We loaded up on Red Snapper (out of season), Sarah caught her first shark, and brought home 2 Grouper that were around 12-13lbs each. The fishing was slow and we hit about 4-5 spots before the last one started producing.

We had a band of storms come through everyday with high winds, rain, and lightening. Sarah beach launched once, but the currents were so strong she couldn't go anywhere. We fished the Bay a few times, but we couldn't hide from the west winds. I cought nothing on my own the witire trip. Sarah caught a lot of Pin fish, and one trout. It was tough fishing, and even harder with 8 family members that are always asking you what are we doing next? We did Scallop the last day and that was fun, just snorkeling in the bay seeing all the aquatic life.

If I would have had a boat I think we could have gotten to some protected areas easier.

I had guys in Pensacola and Panacea Park wanting us to travel to fish with them, but didn't want to leave the family.

Jeremy

Alphahawk
07-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a great trip....minus being able to kayak and fish. I've planed trips and the weather caused a big change of plans but it turned out fun anyway....as it sounds like yours did. Got to love those grouper.

regards