PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid fishing on JPP this morning.

aero320
07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/5yujrp.jpg

We hit JPP at daylight and found the water over the walkway to the boat dock at Stewarts Creek. Saw some shad flipping and were able collect three dozen with the cast net. Lots of debris floating in the river channel. Once you get to the main lake things are OK.

We were able to get on the hybrids pretty good. Photo is of Rick Stewart of McMinnville with one of the fish taken. This one weighed 11 pounds.

When we got back to the boat ramp, the water had risen another foot.

jad2t
07-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Niiiiiiice. Are they busting the surface or are you just catching them deep?

aero320
07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Deep

Alphahawk
07-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice fish.

Regards

tkwalker
07-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Are you sure it is a Hybrid ? ... The broken lines does not mean anything ( especially what I have seen from the Hatcheries in the past 25 years) sure is skinny Girth wise ... Hybrids are shorter with a wider Girth ??? now I am going strictly from the pic ... which is never a good reference .... Nice fish anyway !!! <'TK>< :)

aero320
07-06-2013, 09:16 AM
TK:

Yes, I believe it is a hybrid. The second anal fin was about 2/3rds of the length of the third anal fin (which should be the definitive identifier).

Another picture is posted with Rick holding the fish along side of a rockfish we caught at the same spot.

http://i41.tinypic.com/27zx8q9.jpg

Good thing we went fishing on Friday instead of Saturday!

agelesssone
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Looks more like a striper to me. JMHO.

MNfisher
07-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Looks hybridish to me! Nice fish!

I call it maize
07-06-2013, 09:08 PM
That's awesome. I would have guessed the one on the left to be a hybrid but wouldn't have known the one on the right(left hand) be a hybrid too. I have always looked at the body shape first then the broken lines. I probably need to read up.

MNfisher
07-07-2013, 12:58 AM
That's awesome. I would have guessed the one on the left to be a hybrid but wouldn't have known the one on the right(left hand) be a hybrid too. I have always looked at the body shape first then the broken lines. I probably need to read up.

The one on the right side of the pic is for sure a rockfish (striper)

Saltwaterwalt
07-07-2013, 08:26 PM
So do you have to use downriggers to catch them in summer? Or could you dead drift with a weighted shad at X depth? I still have never caught one of these fish, because I'm usually chasing stuff on the flats with my flyrod, but they sure look like fun!

MNfisher
07-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Downlining shad will definitely work if you are in the school. Even bottom fishing like catfish fishing, with live shad or bluegill will work if you are in their zone.

Trealtree
07-07-2013, 09:25 PM
went out there for a week or two ago didnt have any luck but i also was drifting instead of still fishing. i cant really throw an anchor out from my john boat in deep water any tips on how i can catch some will be appreciated i dont really know exactly the best way to. been trying hard to catch some though :D

chaseasl
07-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Some really nice fish, I'm still yet to catch a hybrid

agelesssone
07-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I am seriously thinking of setting up a guided trip with Nashville fishing charters just for the educational value.

$175.00 for a four hour trip, four guys, (plus 15% tip, ($26.25) comes out to be $50.00 a man. Cheap education, then we can go and replicate and CATCH STRIPERS AND HYBRIDS!!

Wish we could catch some STRIPPERS, but hear they cost a lot more!

Anybody interested, send me a PM. when we get three (plus me) we'll start figuring what day, what time.

jad2t
07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Wish we could catch some STRIPPERS, but hear they cost a lot more!

That, in addition to catching stripers, makes for an excellent day of fishing!

In all seriousness though I'd be in for this as long as the guides do a lot to educate us on how to locate and catch these fish rather than just driving out to a honeyhole, have us catch a few, then take us home.

agelesssone
07-08-2013, 03:06 PM
I'd make it explicitly known to them that this would be more of an educational outing than a fish catching trip.

FloatNFish
07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Pm sent.

I would love to join you guys in some school If there is room!

Alex