PDA

View Full Version : GPS Humminbird

jmsjordan
07-05-2013, 04:49 AM
Was able to get a new depth finder Humminbird 597ciHDDI, just a bit different from the 10 year old sonar I had before. Any recommendations on setting this up?! I am also looking into getting a SD card with lake maps on it. Navionic seems to be the only one that has Old Hickory lake and most other Middle TN lakes on it. I also go once a year to the gulf with the boat, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Farley
07-05-2013, 06:34 AM
There are a ton of resources for learning more about these pieces of equipment. Youtube, has countless videos, humminbird & crappie.com also have forums totally dedicated to electronics. I've only had mine since this winter and there is one piece of equipment I don't want to go fishing without this is it. Unfortnately your tied to Navonics if you want old hickory and priest. The Lakemaster looks like a better fit for the system but since I fish those two lakes the majority of the time I went with Navonics.

outback fisher
07-05-2013, 08:37 AM
I'd stay away from lakemaster, I bought that card for my 597 and all it has locally is cordull hull. The navionics premium card is the one you need, not the platinum it will not read in the 597.

tkwalker
07-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Was able to get a new depth finder Humminbird 597ciHDDI, just a bit different from the 10 year old sonar I had before. Any recommendations on setting this up?! I am also looking into getting a SD card with lake maps on it. Navionic seems to be the only one that has Old Hickory lake and most other Middle TN lakes on it. I also go once a year to the gulf with the boat, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Same here guys ... Thanks for the info ... I am tossing up color verses Black and white and is it worth the $200 difference ... I had a Color Raytheon CRT unit on my guide boat ... It was nice ... But I am looking at a B&W 581 I HD DI Sonar/GPS for $300 and the Nav Hot Maps Prem for $150 ... Total $450..

Now the color Version (Spec's are close) of this is the 597 ci HD for $500 (Through HBird) plus the Nav Hot Maps Prem $150 .... Total $650 ... What are your thoughts and has anyone owned a 581 ... Thanks for any input ... <'TK>< :)

jmsjordan
07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
When I bought mine a couple weeks ago, Bass Pro and Humminbird were doing $50 rebates each. The rep at BP also told me countless people return asking if they can trade in the black n white for color...he told me to spend it now or spend more later.

I will go with the Navionics premium, thanks for the info! I have looked on youtube and other places for resources...just a lot to figure out for this noob!

sqlightning
07-07-2013, 09:51 PM
i just picked up the 581i and navionics card the other day and am very happy with them. the navionics tends to be very detailed and showed pretty much everything that was in the water

JandSCattleCo
07-07-2013, 10:33 PM
TK I have the 581 hd DI and love it. I was in the same boat, spend more on color or not. With me being colorblind, that sort of sealed the deal on that one! :D