PDA

View Full Version : Walleye below Center Hill Dam

hotwielen65
06-28-2013, 11:30 AM
About 10 years ago my son and I threw shallow running cranks below the dam at night, we caught spots, a huge gar and several Walleye, one about 5 lbs. I haven't been since. I know some of you fish down there at night, do they still fish for Walleye in the pond at night?

Thanks for the feed back in advance,

Ray

jad2t
06-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Yes you definitely can catch them this time of year there at night. Back in late Winter I started inquiring a lot on here about walleye/sauger and found out a lot about techniques and time/place to find them. I've been awaiting summertime and a chance for a night Caney trip. Next weekend I'm headed there to fish the pond and will target a few species, Walleye being one of them!

txnative
06-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Before going, check to see if they are sluicing. I've been a couple times recently, and the usually dependable walleye bite has been missing. I've picked up a few, but neither the numbers or the size has been what they were. I think the lack of sluice gate flow during non-generation times coupled with the high generation levels during the day has changed the walleye pattern.

This is all relevant to the shallow crank pattern, I'm sure there are ways to catch them that are hot right now, but I haven't had time to figure them out.

Chris

jad2t
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Before going, check to see if they are sluicing. I've been a couple times recently, and the usually dependable walleye bite has been missing. I've picked up a few, but neither the numbers or the size has been what they were. I think the lack of sluice gate flow during non-generation times coupled with the high generation levels during the day has changed the walleye pattern.

This is all relevant to the shallow crank pattern, I'm sure there are ways to catch them that are hot right now, but I haven't had time to figure them out.

Chris

I know last weekend they were running 250 through the sluice with and without generation, that's primarily where Mike was hanging around last weekend when he did so well. TVA generation schedule webpage doesn't show that small sluice discharge but that doesn't mean they're not still doing it.

txnative
06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
I was there last night...no sluice. The COE has a site that gives a breakdown of releases and a 5 day forecast. It's on the water management site.

Chris

hotwielen65
06-28-2013, 05:10 PM
I appreciate the help, I'm going to check the previous 48 to see what kind of flows they had running 1 (like tonight) sometimes there is a pattern that is repeating.

Ray