PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick-06-27-2013

Alphahawk
06-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Went to Pickwick to try to catch some Gills....it was way too windy to fish at Laurel Hill in the kayak. The point I was going to fish at Pickwick I would be casting down wind.....that sounded good to me. But once I went down the rocks I wasn't really in the wind....and man it was hot. Did not catch a single Gill there....but did get into the large mouth. Caught 10 like the ones in the pic. Took a while to get those in with the 2# test. Had two fish jump and throw the hook.....they were in the 4 pound range. Had one break off after a lengthy fight.....can't say how big but a good one. The reason for the break off was me being lazy. I should have retied after catching each one of those bass but did not. I don't know how long the fish were...I didn't measure....but they were good size for my equipment. It was just so hot I didn't measure....didn't re-tie....didn't even want to take pics...it was just a scorcher. The trash floating around the generator intakes had bass blowing up all around it the whole time I was there...but not even close to my casting distance. I only fished for a couple of hours and had to get out of the heat. On the way home was thinking about my trip. Looked up my records and found that at the same spot....same time last year...the large mouth were there. So I thought it doesn't do any good to record your fishing trip if you don't use the records to see what was going on at this time in the past. I should have known I wasn't going to catch Gills there.....my past history shows me catching large mouth off that point until very late summer. Records also show that if I fish the point right before sun rise the Gills are there..... lesson learned.

Regards

browntrout
06-27-2013, 06:17 PM
That brings up an interesting question, does anyone have a good fishing trip recording app that they like. By the way Alpha nice bass even if they are green.

Roy

Alphahawk
06-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Scout Look has some good things about it but to me the logging part needs work.

Regards

nomad60
06-27-2013, 07:38 PM
On 2 pound test? Bravo, sir! Nice bass and hey, what's wrong with the color green? :)

browntrout
06-27-2013, 08:15 PM
On 2 pound test? Bravo, sir! Nice bass and hey, what's wrong with the color green? :)

2 real fish in the world.......

1. Brown Trout
2. Brown Bass

All others are trash fish!!!!

Roy

jaysouth
06-27-2013, 08:24 PM
What jig and grub are you using in these pictures? What size?

Thanks

MNfisher
06-27-2013, 08:39 PM

1. Brown Trout
2. Brown Bass

Roy

And black and white striped ones :D

MNfisher
06-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Nice bass Alpha!

Alphahawk
06-27-2013, 08:47 PM
What jig and grub are you using in these pictures? What size?

Thanks

The body is a Bison colored Trout Magnet. It is on a 1/16 ounce round head with a #8 hook. Not the ideal hook to catch large mouth on but they like the lure. Next week will start fishing with a rod with 6# test and some 1/8 ounce jigs and 1/8 Kastmaster spoons down there. Will also be fishing with Bitsy Bugs with a plastic trailer. I also have some round head jigs coming in 1/8 ounce with an Eagle Claw 630 long shank #8 hook. Should make for some interesting fishing with a Trout Magnet body.

Regards

agelesssone
06-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Brown trout my wife likes to eat. Me, I likes brownfish!

creekcrappie
06-27-2013, 10:10 PM

1. Brown Trout
2. Brown Bass

Roy

And black and white speckled ones!

creekcrappie
06-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Alpha, those are some huge bass to be catching on two pound test line and trout magnets!

Alphahawk
06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
Alpha, those are some huge bass to be catching on two pound test line and trout magnets!

They were a lot of fun....hope to get some bigger ones next week.

Regards

nomad60
06-28-2013, 12:39 PM
LOL! I see I'm heavily outnumbered here :D <--green