PDA

View Full Version : Last week JPP dam

MNfisher
06-18-2013, 09:02 PM
I apologize about the late report, but my family was in town and didn't make time to do a report. I fished the dam last week a few times and I had great success while the spillways were open. Several crappie, gills, whitebass, skipjack, yellowbass, a rockbass, a shellcracker, and a small striper. I never knew what was gonna be reeled in next! It was great! Here are a few pics! Small fish were on a TM and the striper and white bass were on spoons and flukes. I didn't get any pics of the white bass, but one afternoon caught several 11-14 inchers!

Fishbus
06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Sweet dude. I'm hoping to get over there with my boys before they turn off the spill. Shared the pic of that huge Gar you caught with a co-worker. He couldn't believe it.

creekcrappie
06-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice fish! How big were the crappie? I am hoping I can get over there soon to catch some.

MNfisher
06-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks! Most crappie were small, but caught a handful around 10-11"

Alphahawk
06-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Pretty fish.

Regards

TroutFiend
06-18-2013, 10:17 PM
Nice fish down there. Never know what's coming out next. What setup/techniques were you using on the flukes?

MNfisher
06-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Nice fish down there. Never know what's coming out next. What setup/techniques were you using on the flukes?

Just on a 1/4 oz jig head drifting in the current.

jad2t
06-19-2013, 07:22 AM
Nice work man. Those longear sunfish sure are cool looking. They look like something you'd see in a saltwater aquarium!

Whenever the rockfish start showing up good there keep us posted. I need to break in my new setup the right way :D

MNfisher
06-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Whenever the rockfish start showing up good there keep us posted. I need to break in my new setup the right way :D

They shut the doors, they are back in the Cumberland. Gotta wait til fall now. Unless we get tons of rain.

nomad60
06-19-2013, 06:36 PM
They shut the doors, they are back in the Cumberland. Gotta wait til fall now. Unless we get tons of rain.

Does that mean they will start running up and down the river now? Or where do they hang out when they stop generating? I don't think I've ever seen anyone catch a striper down this way, although some of my coworkers say that at certain times of the year, in the evening, one can catch smaller ones (5 - 10 pounds) along the rip rap near shore.

MNfisher
06-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Does that mean they will start running up and down the river now? Or where do they hang out when they stop generating? I don't think I've ever seen anyone catch a striper down this way, although some of my coworkers say that at certain times of the year, in the evening, one can catch smaller ones (5 - 10 pounds) along the rip rap near shore.

Man, besides dams, I don't know how to get on those Cumberland striper. I catch them at JPP and OHD. But I know they are all over in there somewhere! But now that JPP stopped spilling, I will fish OH when the flows get lower.

nomad60
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Man, besides dams, I don't know how to get on those Cumberland striper. I catch them at JPP and OHD. But I know they are all over in there somewhere! But now that JPP stopped spilling, I will fish OH when the flows get lower.

I'm gonna die without ever catching a striper, I just know it! LOL

Every time I go out here locally, one of the first things I do is to throw swimbaits, a spinnerbait and a TN version of the A-rig right where the Red River meets the Cumberland in the hope of finding a striper. https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d965!2d-87.3712451!3d36.5386186!2m1!1e3&fid=7 There's some rip rap on shore and some rocks under the water and the area where the Red River hits the Cumberland has more current and movement so to my newb self, it's a logical place to look but so far, zip, nada.

agelesssone
06-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Nice catches and photos, Mike!

OH, and congrats to the wife too! Tell Cee Lo "Hey" for me!

MNfisher
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Nice catches and photos, Mike!

OH, and congrats to the wife too! Tell Cee Lo "Hey" for me!

Ha, thanks! Unfortunately I do not get to meet him, actually Jenn doesn't even get to!

txnative
06-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Nomad,

Go below cheatham dam on the generator side. I would try to be there before dusk and have a spot near the boils. Use a 3-way swivel with a 1 1/2-2 oz weight and a zoom split tail trailer (the kind you would use on a spinnerbait) threaded on a size 2-2/0 bait holder hook. Youcan sub out the split tail with a zoom super fluke, super fluke jr, or the original fluke. I like pearl or white ice colors. Toss the rig into the leading edge of the boils and maintain contact as it bounces along the bottom. Be sure to have plenty of extra weights, hooks, and swivels. I use 20-30 lb braid as a mainline and 15-20 lb berkley big game for my leaders.

An alternative is a 3/4-1 oz jighead with a super fluke. Same basic premise, but you may want to use different retrieves along with the bounce n drift.

The above techniques are more acclimated to bank fishing. If you are in a boat, I would use a Carolina-rig with live shad or a 7-8" skippie. Stripers will eat bigger baits, but the smaller baits will fast-track you to a striper, although it may not be a wall-hanger. Either cast the rig into the boils or drift it downstream. DO NOT ANCHOR BELOW DAMS...PERIOD !!! The Corps doesn't need another statistic to use against us.

If cheatham opens its floodgates, a 1 oz jighead/super fluke combo is tough to beat, and casting into the roughest, swiftest water can lead to fast action. Above all, be careful.

Chris

nomad60
06-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Nomad,

Go below cheatham dam on the generator side. I would try to be there before dusk and have a spot near the boils. Use a 3-way swivel with a 1 1/2-2 oz weight and a zoom split tail trailer (the kind you would use on a spinnerbait) threaded on a size 2-2/0 bait holder hook. Youcan sub out the split tail with a zoom super fluke, super fluke jr, or the original fluke. I like pearl or white ice colors. Toss the rig into the leading edge of the boils and maintain contact as it bounces along the bottom. Be sure to have plenty of extra weights, hooks, and swivels. I use 20-30 lb braid as a mainline and 15-20 lb berkley big game for my leaders.

An alternative is a 3/4-1 oz jighead with a super fluke. Same basic premise, but you may want to use different retrieves along with the bounce n drift.

The above techniques are more acclimated to bank fishing. If you are in a boat, I would use a Carolina-rig with live shad or a 7-8" skippie. Stripers will eat bigger baits, but the smaller baits will fast-track you to a striper, although it may not be a wall-hanger. Either cast the rig into the boils or drift it downstream. DO NOT ANCHOR BELOW DAMS...PERIOD !!! The Corps doesn't need another statistic to use against us.

If cheatham opens its floodgates, a 1 oz jighead/super fluke combo is tough to beat, and casting into the roughest, swiftest water can lead to fast action. Above all, be careful.

Chris

I think that's a great idea as Cheatham dam isn't really that far from here. I don't think I'd feel comfortable enough to fish below the dam in my boat so shore it will be. Thanks a lot for the tips and advice. If I do catch one before I keel over I'll be sure to report back LOL

nomad60
06-20-2013, 04:52 PM
MNfisher, just a FYI: I tried to send you a PM and got this error -

MNfisher has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
Time to clean house! :D