PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick-06-12-2013

Alphahawk
06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Headed out to Pickwick hoping to find some nice Gills. That didn't happen. I wound up in the lake after trying below the dam for about an hour and a half. It was HOT! I fished the point next to the dam and evidently large mouth were stacked in there....at least the size I caught were. Maybe could have gotten some bigger ones had I thrown something besides a Trout Magnet.....but had nothing else with me. I caught 27 of these before the heat got to me. All of them were almost exactly same size. I didn't measure and only took the one pic....had I gotten a bigger one would have taken another pic. It was just too hot in those rocks to do much of anything. These bass I am guessing were at the 13 inch mark. Whatever the length they gave me a heck of a fight on 2# test. Am going to try to fish the Pond at the Caney on Friday. The water in the lake was 89 degrees....pretty hot. Will start hitting VFW....Laurel Hill for the evening Gill bite. The watr there is getting warm also.

Regards

MNfisher
06-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Headed out to Pickwick hoping to find some nice Gills. That didn't happen. I wound up in the lake after trying below the dam for about an hour and a half. It was HOT! I fished the point next to the dam and evidently large mouth were stacked in there....at least the size I caught were. Maybe could have gotten some bigger ones had I thrown something besides a Trout Magnet.....but had nothing else with me. I caught 27 of these before the heat got to me. All of them were almost exactly same size. I didn't measure and only took the one pic....had I gotten a bigger one would have taken another pic. It was just too hot in those rocks to do much of anything. These bass I am guessing were at the 13 inch mark. Whatever the length they gave me a heck of a fight on 2# test. Am going to try to fish the Pond at the Caney on Friday. The water in the lake was 89 degrees....pretty hot. Will start hitting VFW....Laurel Hill for the evening Gill bite. The watr there is getting warm also.

Regards

Nice! It sure was hot today! Especially toting a weed eater around all day!

Travis C.
06-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Nice!

I am actually going to target bass tomorrow night on OH. Planning on hitting the creek today for some grasshopper fishing on the fly then collect some creek minnows for tomorrow night.

Can't wait to get on the Caney... probably early July. Going to leave for the gulf next weekend and fish there.

Reel Tune
06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
The largemouth had great color. It's almost too hot to be out there during the daytime unless you are wading moving water.

Jeremy

jad2t
06-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Catching a bass is always a nice surprise on a magnet with that light line! Last weekend I was twitching a crappie magnet on Priest from my yak catching bluegill after bluegill (all very small) when I got a hit and my drag started screaming. Thought it was a catfish until it jumped and it was a LM bass right at the 14" mark.

jad2t
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Here's the one I'm talking about below.

Alphahawk
06-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Catching a bass is always a nice surprise on a magnet with that light line! Last weekend I was twitching a crappie magnet on Priest from my yak catching bluegill after bluegill (all very small) when I got a hit and my drag started screaming. Thought it was a catfish until it jumped and it was a LM bass right at the 14" mark.

Yeah you never know what is going to hit those things.

Regards

Alphahawk
06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
The largemouth had great color. It's almost too hot to be out there during the daytime unless you are wading moving water.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy....Yeah they were colored up pretty nice. You are right about the heat. I worked many a 120 degree days in Saudi for a couple of decades....didn't really bother me. But now am older....bigger....and just can't seem to tolerate it as well. Time to fish the Caney and do my Gill fishing in very late afternoon. That point I was fishing holds some really good large mouth in summer. I need to start fishing for them.

Regards

chaseasl
06-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Looks like a lot of fun, hot or not

txnative
06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Nice!

I am actually going to target bass tomorrow night on OH. Planning on hitting the creek today for some grasshopper fishing on the fly .

What pattern are grasshoppers hitting on ? I've never tried to fish for grasshoppers, sounds interesting...also, do they pull hard or does the fight consist of a lot of jumping ?

Chris :)

Alphahawk
06-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice!

I am actually going to target bass tomorrow night on OH. Planning on hitting the creek today for some grasshopper fishing on the fly then collect some creek minnows for tomorrow night.

Can't wait to get on the Caney... probably early July. Going to leave for the gulf next weekend and fish there.

The creek part sounds real good and cool...LOL.

Regards

MNfisher
06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
What pattern are grasshoppers hitting on ? I've never tried to fish for grasshoppers, sounds interesting...also, do they pull hard or does the fight consist of a lot of jumping ?

Haha! Chris I was thinking the same thing, but just didn't say anything! Bet they take a real real small fly! Size 92?

Travis C.
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM

I kind of stumbled on them when I started fly fishing. Since most of my casts ended up behind me or way out to the side beyond the banks they started getting bit instantly. It was my lil secret until you just outed me.

For some reason they'll hammer a size 32 silver walrus.... must be a territorial strike.

http://www.moldychum.com/storage/Artistic%20and%20Funny%20Flies%20by%20Fabrizio%20G ajardoni_1289891937270.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVER SION=1289892347794

Travis C.
06-13-2013, 03:01 PM
The creek part sounds real good and cool...LOL.

Regards

The creeks are still pretty cool. Cooler than usual it seems by now in the year.

After a few days of fishing in this heat Alpha, you may just want to wade the Caney about shoulder deep with a big brim hat and leave the rod on the bank. Watch out for the rental canoe brigade though.

txnative
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Bravo, Travis...the "silver walrus fly" got me.

Chris