PDA

View Full Version : Percy 6/9 night

Travis C.
06-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Went out for a few hours on Percy trolling some cranks hoping for anything but mainly just enjoying the night. Ended up with 2 cats that came home for the freezer. I can never...ever catch a catfish when actually catfishing. :confused: yet not only caught these but they hit both rods at the same time. The flathead was close to 30" and the channel was a good eating size. I thought I was hung on the bigger cat as it never moved so that rod was sat back down until the other with a fish on it was reeled in. When reeling the channel in about half way the trolling motor started to worry me about getting the other rods line in it and only after picking it up trying to break it off did we both realize it was hooked. :D

Somehow landed them and the only other bite in the 5 hrs was a really big smallie that breached throwing my jig.... I am trying to convince myself that was another catfish to easy the pain. Slow night but relaxing.

Both cats were caught on a shad rap.

MNfisher
06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Awesome! Sorry about the big bronzy!

Alphahawk
06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Dang...a big cat and some good eating there. Congrats on a good night.

Regards

Travis C.
06-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Awesome! Sorry about the big bronzy!

I thought it was another cat so I played tough of war with it then heard the fish breach, slap back down and jig come popping back towards me. Oh well, win some lose some.

fishfindergeneral
06-09-2013, 08:09 PM
That's the beauty of trolling. No matter what you target, you never know what you'll get. Sounds like a great night.

creekcrappie
06-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Nice cats! I am just like you, I have never caught a catfish while catfishing, but I caught a few on a minnow, one on a roostertail, and one on a trout magnet. Sorry about the smallie, watch out when you cast and when a fish throws the hook, it can and will pop you or some one else! I had that happen before and I had a knot there for 2 weeks!

Travis C.
06-10-2013, 08:05 AM
That's the beauty of trolling. No matter what you target, you never know what you'll get. Sounds like a great night.

It was a far cry from your high tech operation...:D I'll leave the real trolling to you guys.

nomad60
06-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Travis,

Nice going. I'm thinking about starting some late evening/night fishing now that it's getting so darn hot out...how do you keep the bugs from eating you alive out there?

StriperFan
06-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice fish. The smallmouth is the most notorious for jumping up and just opening his mouth to say "here's your lure back"...

tsuggs
06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
I try trollin every time i go out and this time of year You literally can catch 4 to 5 species of fish

Travis C.
06-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Travis,

Nice going. I'm thinking about starting some late evening/night fishing now that it's getting so darn hot out...how do you keep the bugs from eating you alive out there?

I tend to wear long sleeves and pants most all the time fishing even in summer. I have fishing pants and a shirt that isn't too restrictive or hot. Then I spray the cuffs/belt/pant legs and head area. Just don't do it around your fishing line as the bug spray will break down mono line.

It doesn't eliminate it but makes it more enjoyable and better than a sunburn in my opinion.

chaseasl
06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
good deal

creekcrappie
06-11-2013, 09:40 PM
I try trollin every time i go out and this time of year You literally can catch 4 to 5 species of fish

It's the same with trout magnets!

Reel Tune
06-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Nice flathead Travis, and sorry about the smallie.

Jeremy

Travis C.
06-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Nice flathead Travis, and sorry about the smallie.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, they were caught around where that bass was floating the night we went. Coming up onto that shallow point in about 8-10ft. Not a ton of bait either as most that I seen were down the bank closer to that big channel drop in 20-25ft or off in the channel in 40-50ft around there.