PDA

View Full Version : Henry Horton state park-duck river

blink
06-08-2013, 09:16 AM
The Mrs. and I are goin camping there tonight. How is the fishing in the river? Is there bank access? Wading opportunities?

Alphahawk
06-08-2013, 09:25 AM
The Mrs. and I are goin camping there tonight. How is the fishing in the river? Is there bank access? Wading opportunities?

Depends on level of water for bank access but the Smallie action can be good there.

Regards

blink
06-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks Alpha.
NOAA is showing the flow to be pretty low. it came up a bit yesterday with the rain.

Maybe i can finally catch my first smallie!

MNfisher
06-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Maybe i can finally catch my first smallie!

Good luck!! Toss some weightless pearl white super flukes!

tsuggs
06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Ive had luck with dark creature baits and lizards texas rigged with tungsten weight.Look for eddies.

blink
06-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks y'all. I have all of those things in my arsenal. From the photos I have seen it looks a bit more like the rivers I am used to fishin in Georgia.

OAS_5150
06-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Been to Milltown several times. Yes there are some very nice fish there even if it is overfished. You might even find some 'eyes in there. Spinnerbaits Spinnerbaits Spinnerbaits.... White, if not white, black. You will more than likely lose some tackle so go to Walmart and buy spinnerbaits for 99 cents and give er hell

blink
06-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Well,
The camping was nice.
The river was high and muddy and fast. I couldnt access the bank anywhere in the park.
Oh well.

Reel Tune
06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Glad the camping was good. When we camp on the Duck it's usually just up river at Ms. Coopers. We usually do it in the fall, the water is lower, and it can be a lot of fun. Most of the trips on the Duck for us are floats, or paddle up and float back down.

Jeremy

TroutFiend
06-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Glad the camping was good. When we camp on the Duck it's usually just up river at Ms. Coopers. We usually do it in the fall, the water is lower, and it can be a lot of fun. Most of the trips on the Duck for us are floats, or paddle up and float back down.

Jeremy

Where is Ms. Coopers area?

FloatNFish
06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
Where is Ms. Coopers area?

She's up on Hopkins Bridge Rd. "Riverview Primitive Camp". They've got campsites setup on the floodplain of their farm. It's $10/car to camp and $10/ truckload of wood. Really cool spot and Ms. Cooper is one if the nicest people I've ever met.

Jeremy - Do you ever do any good fishing there at the mouth of the creek? Seems like it should be a great spot but I don't usually catch much. I've only floated from the Cooper's to the park. How is the float upstream of camp?

-Alex

bfish
06-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Alex, the area at the creekmouth gets fished hard. Also that creek goes dry in the late summer. The next upstream public launch is Halls Mill and is regular floated by canoe companies. The upper half has better fishing, IMO. But the lower half tends to have larger fish. If you can find private access, it is best to split the float into half for serious fishing.

Blink, there should be plenty of bank access at Henry Horton from the upper boat launch to the highway bridge. At low water one can wade around the upper boat launch area pretty easily.

TomD
06-10-2013, 10:32 PM
i never put the canoe in but waded there at the park there's a rough ramp down from the highway. Its a fun place to wade but I didnt do much in the way of catching anything but it sure looks like it should be. Id like to try it again.

I was using my spinning gear but a fly rod would be what I would use next time.

Wish I knew a place I could wade on the Harpeth Ive read its not easy access unless you know someone. I wonder how good it is.s

Reel Tune
06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
She's up on Hopkins Bridge Rd. "Riverview Primitive Camp". They've got campsites setup on the floodplain of their farm. It's $10/car to camp and $10/ truckload of wood. Really cool spot and Ms. Cooper is one if the nicest people I've ever met.

Jeremy - Do you ever do any good fishing there at the mouth of the creek? Seems like it should be a great spot but I don't usually catch much. I've only floated from the Cooper's to the park. How is the float upstream of camp?

-Alex

Correct with the location Alex. We (Tennessee Kayak Angler) usually do a yearly campout around October there. Most of the fishing is done elsewere besides the came. I've never fished the creek, because like said "it's hit pretty hard".

I like going upriver, and floating back, there are several places to access upriver and are much more scenic than Ms. Coopers to Henry Horton, and I really wouldn't recommend that float. There several floats below River Rats also that are good, but once you get below Columbia I haven't had much luck.

Jeremy