PDA

View Full Version : nice PP drum during the rain yesterday

Saltwaterwalt
06-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Did some carp scouting for the upcoming FlySouth Flyfish Carp Tourney, and had this 6 1/2lb drum inhale my fly on my 5wt ... what a battle it was! I caught a second one about 15 mins later. If you've never tried a flyrod for carp, drum or buffalo, you need to! I call our drum Tn Redfish, because they resemble them and fight hard :D

TroutFiend
06-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Nice fish. I have been catching a lot more lately. Came across some nice ones Tuesday at JPP Dam and Saturday on OH. If the fly bite slows down go with the gold Trout Magnet.

SAMBOLIE
06-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Had to laugh at you being happy to catch a drum.
My fishing partner goes into a rant every time he catches one. Actually it is usually two or three per trip. I am sure my comments do not upset him.

I have usually found smallies in the spots where I caught drum.

Travis C.
06-07-2013, 08:04 AM
I bet that was a lot of fun on a 5wt.

bd, better watch out... :D

Saltwaterwalt
06-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Had to laugh at you being happy to catch a drum.
My fishing partner goes into a rant every time he catches one. Actually it is usually two or three per trip. I am sure my comments do not upset him.

I have usually found smallies in the spots where I caught drum.

Ha, ha...yeah, I think you'd have to have a group of fishermen around a campfire with a psychiatrist present to figure out why 'game' fish are worthier than others. If you're not going after food, what's it matter as long as its challenging to catch and gives a good battle. To me, the tug is the drug that makes my adrenaline go! :D
I've caught Asian carp on flyrod in the Cumberland River (below Cheatham dam) and pound for pound, they'll outfight anything in freshwater I can think of.

MNfisher
06-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Nice fish. I have been catching a lot more lately. Came across some nice ones Tuesday at JPP Dam and Saturday on OH. If the fly bite slows down go with the gold Trout Magnet.

I also caught a few drum Tuesday at JPP dam. What time were you there?

TroutFiend
06-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I also caught a few drum Tuesday at JPP dam. What time were you there?

You know... I thought that might have been you. I think I remembered seeing a you in a faded red hat from previous pics. I was across in a bright blue polo work shirt with a big Roscoe Brown HVAC work truck behind me. Around 330?

MNfisher
06-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Yep, that was me. I didn't catch any until they turned off the generator. We may have to meet up next time!

ditz1
06-07-2013, 05:10 PM
I have been looking for some shallow carp to fling a fly at. Not in the FlySouth tourn. but there just does not seem to be any down in my neck of the woods in these small creeks. I have even made a couple of trips to the Nashville for a look but no luck yet. I have a fly box stuffed and ready for action. I am a C &R guy so rough fish are as good or better than the sport fish. I do to love to fish them BG though..

Reel Tune
06-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Nice Walt. That would be a blast on the fly rod, especially a 5WT. I'm gonna have to start throwing mine, and find some carp. Shoot I just need to get out.

Jeremy