PDA

View Full Version : A couple of hours at VFW.

Alphahawk
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Had two appointments today and only had about two hours of fishing time between them so headed back to VFW Lake. Pretty much same as yesterday...except got a couple of fish a little bigger. One of the Shell Crackers was close to the 11 inch mark and had a Gill that was pushing the ten inch mark. Caught about 25 Gills at 8 inches and what you see in the pics is all the Shell Cracker I got today.....the Shell Cracker I am holding is also in a pic on the Hawg Trough. It was a nice couple of hours...had the lake to myself...overcast...wasn't too hot. Trying to figure out weather for tomorrow and where to go.

Regards

MNfisher
06-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Nice! I wish I wasn't so busy right now!!

Alphahawk
06-07-2013, 04:46 PM
More of same at VFW. No pics as they are the same size fish I have been catching......Shell Crackers 10-11 inches....Bull Gills at 8 to 9 inches. Spent compete day there...took a break to go for lunch over at Laurel Hill. No one else fishing. It was a great day.....not sure how many fish but it was pretty much non stop action. Saw A Timber Rattler swim from one side of lake to the other....pretty neat as long as he didn't get too close...LOL.

Regards

MNfisher
06-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Saw A Timber Rattler swim from one side of lake to the other....pretty neat as long as he didn't get too close...LOL.

Regards

Still have never seen a rattler, or any venomous snake!

Reel Tune
06-08-2013, 07:47 AM
I think it's about time for a micro lite. I have a couple 1000 CI 4's spooled with 4lb, but think I need something a little smaller, especially the rods that are Crucial 6'8 med light.

Jeremy

nomad60
06-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Crimony...10" gills? I just looked at a tape measure...that is huge for a gill! I think I need to throw all my bass lures in the trash and start fishing TM's :) A 10" gill on 2 pound test, that has to be a good fight.

StriperFan
06-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Those are some beauties Alpha. I've seen a few timber rattlers and copperheads in Mid TN. The rocky hills of Auburntown host a decent population of copperhead and rattlers. They are never a problem as long as you see them first and leave them alone. The rattlers generally move around slow and with purpose. Where a copperhead can come up on you quick, both will avoid you if given the chance.

Alphahawk
06-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Yeah they were a great fight Nomad. I will probably hit it again Monday morning as I think the Shell Crackers are staging to move up on bed soon....and same with Gills. StriperFan....that area has an abundance of Timber Rattlers. I have run into a few down there and they leave me alone. That is the second one that I have seen in the last few years though that decided to cross the lake...pretty smart creature.

Regards

ditz1
06-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey Alpha....can I assume one must be a member to fish the VFW?

Alphahawk
06-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Hey Alpha....can I assume one must be a member to fish the VFW?

Oh no...it belongs to the state....a TWRA Lake. It belonged to VFW I think until mid 60's. Great little lake. On weekdays not very many people at all....and hardly ever a single boat....no gas motors allowed to be used. So it is great for kayaking. It has a very good population of Shell Crackers and the Gill fishing is good also. There are bass in the lake...and some big ones....but I wouldn't drive there to fish for bass unless I lived within 10 miles. I think I recall you saying you fly fished. In the late evening....for about an hour before the sun sets....the Gills will come to the top so a fly rod with popping bug would be great.

Regards

nomad60
06-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Yeah they were a great fight Nomad. I will probably hit it again Monday morning as I think the Shell Crackers are staging to move up on bed soon....and same with Gills.

And you know what? I catch a lot of bass which are much smaller than the gills you catch on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever caught a 10" gill in my life so my hat is off to you, sir.

Alphahawk
06-08-2013, 08:29 PM
And you know what? I catch a lot of bass which are much smaller than the gills you catch on a regular basis. I don't think I've ever caught a 10" gill in my life so my hat is off to you, sir.

Thanks.....we are pretty blessed with our Gills here in TN. They are certainly not like those things that come out of Lake Perris in California....but still good fish. I just like catching anything. We all like big fish but we cant always get big fish. That is why I had a spinning rod made from a 2WT fly rod blank. A 5 inch Gill on that thing gives me lots of fun.

Regards

ditz1
06-11-2013, 03:20 PM
So where is this VFW lake? I have been sick all spring and have yet to get out fishing. I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics and I think I am started to get well ( I hope) so I hope to get to wet a line shortly and finally get this yak wet.

Yes I am a flyfisherman. At least I sometimes think I am. hehehe I do generally fish gills but have been known to throw a few at Smallies in the local creeks as well. If I can find some carp I fully intend to give them a go as well. I have tied up a whole box to overflowing but I have not seen any in the local creeks for the last 5 or so years I have been fishing them so I a guessing they are not there.

chaseasl
06-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Looks like alot of fun

Alphahawk
06-11-2013, 09:03 PM
So where is this VFW lake? I have been sick all spring and have yet to get out fishing. I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics and I think I am started to get well ( I hope) so I hope to get to wet a line shortly and finally get this yak wet.

Yes I am a flyfisherman. At least I sometimes think I am. hehehe I do generally fish gills but have been known to throw a few at Smallies in the local creeks as well. If I can find some carp I fully intend to give them a go as well. I have tied up a whole box to overflowing but I have not seen any in the local creeks for the last 5 or so years I have been fishing them so I a guessing they are not there.

Here are the directions. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=vfw+lake&ie=UTF-8&hl=en
It is a pretty little lake...it also has grass carp in it. Sorry to hear you been sick.

Regards

ditz1
06-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info...My wife brought it home from a nursing home in Indiana. I do believe that I am finally getting better and hope to feel like getting out shortly. Small water might be the best place to start for a begginner and I have always enjoyed small water whether it be a stream or lake.