PDA

View Full Version : VFW Lake 06-05-2013

Alphahawk
06-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Thought I would try VFW from the bank this afternoon and be close to my car if the storms came in....stormed all around me but nothing at the lake. Water temp was 78 degrees....water was stained. Fished a couple of spots before I found them...then the fight was on. Caught 23 Shell Crackers.....most of them right at 10 inch mark. Kept thinking would get one 12 or 13 inches but did not happen. The Shell Crackers were caught on a Bison colored Trout Magnet using a 1/32 head with a rod strung with 2# test SOS Line. Caught 50 Gills...more or less...using a Bison colored Trout Magnet on a rod strung with 2# test NanoFil with a 2# test fluorocarbon leader with a size B split shot about a foot up from the jig. All the Gills were at or little over 8 inches. All of these fish were caught in about 11 feet of water. The Gills were suspended but the Shell Crackers were on bottom. The pics are of different fish....kept waiting to take one more if got a bigger Gill or ShellCracker but those would be the biggest for today. VFW has some good Gills but not as big as the ones in Laurel Hill. The lake does not see too much pressure. It is really a scenic lake.....but can be stifling hot down there. Hopefully will fish Friday somewhere.

Regards

MNfisher
06-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Nice crackers!!

agelesssone
06-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Nice fish! Do you ever keep any to eat?

Alphahawk
06-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Nice fish! Do you ever keep any to eat?

Thanks Merv....yeah I keep fish. Most of the fish I bring home I give to seniors here in Columbia. I'll probably start next week stocking up on Gills. I like those better than anything else. Hope to get into them again at KY Lake next week.

Regards

chaseasl
06-05-2013, 09:23 PM
good mess of fish

tkwalker
06-06-2013, 01:22 AM
Randy, where did you get the Gill Measure Board ??? <'TK>< :)

Alphahawk
06-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Randy, where did you get the Gill Measure Board ??? <'TK>< :)

That's a Hawg Trough.....they sell them at HOOK1 in Hendersonville.

Regards

Reel Tune
06-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Nice Randy. I was hoping it would storm yesterday so I could sleep, it didn't. I ended up changing the oil in one of the cars, mowning the lawn, cleaning out gutters, pulling ivy off the boat house, and installing a ceiling fan on the back patio after working a 12hr shift. I would have rather fished.

Jeremy

Alphahawk
06-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Nice Randy. I was hoping it would storm yesterday so I could sleep, it didn't. I ended up changing the oil in one of the cars, mowning the lawn, cleaning out gutters, pulling ivy off the boat house, and installing a ceiling fan on the back patio after working a 12hr shift. I would have rather fished.

Jeremy

Yeah I saw a post somewhere you would be working 68 hour weeks for a little while....that sure hurts the fishing time....and anything else you want to do also.

Regards

Reel Tune
06-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Yep one more week of it. I've been having some good dreams about fishing, and enjoy reading yours and everyone elses posts. Hopefully soon I'll be able to contribute.

Jeremy