PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Bronzebacks

MNfisher
06-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I was back in MN this past weekend for a wedding. My father and I were lucky enough to get out to our favorite little smallmouth gem. This 545 acre lake is LOADED with them and it still seems to be a secret since on a weekend morning there was only 1 other boat out there and he was walleye fishing. Just 35 miles from Minneapolis, and we have had days with close to 100 fish.

Anyways, Sunday morning we got out. We tossed pearl white flukes rigged weightless over rocky flats in 2-6 ft of water. It was a bit early for them yet, since the spring was so late up there water temps were still in low to mid 50's. But we managed about 25 of them. Good average size of 15-17"ers. It was cold front conditions with a strong NW wind, and we had several follows and short hits. We missed way more than we caught. Actually the biggest one came when I was taking a picture of my dad and my fluke was just sitting out there and one picked it up. They were not very active.

But you cannot complain with 25 smallies in 3 hours, I just know the potential of this lake!

It was fantastic to get out fishing with my dad again. He is coming here for fathers day and I hope to get him on some big fish down here!

Alphahawk
06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Great fish and great pics. Minnesota is on my bucket list. Went once but that was in 1967....long time ago.

Regards

Travis C.
06-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Nice pics, I love catching smallmouth.

jad2t
06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Man those are some pretty fish!

browntrout
06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Looks like fun. I have always wanted to go up there for the smallmouth. Maybe 1 day........

Roy