PDA

View Full Version : Trout Magnet Question

ttitan27
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
I have some crappie magnets and just ordered my first trout magnets and was wondering. I read where a lot of people use 2lb line with 2lb. fluorocarbon leader. Is there any reason why 4lb line combined with 2lb fluoro leader wouldn't perform as well?

Danocaster
05-30-2013, 01:47 PM
The TM only weighs 1/64 oz

you can use 4 lb test if you can cast far enough with it

I've found I have better luck w/ the Crappie Magnet ( and the TM ) on 2 lb test

I just catch more fish w/ 2 lb :D

MNfisher
05-30-2013, 01:56 PM
You can cast further with the 2 lb test and I personally believe the 2 lb test gives the bait a more natural fall and better action. Just my thoughts :)

Alphahawk
05-30-2013, 02:04 PM
X2 on what they said. I use 2# test NanoFil. It has its draw backs but casting distance is not one of them.

Regards

ttitan27
05-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

tkwalker
05-31-2013, 01:04 AM
X2 on what they said. I use 2# test NanoFil. It has its draw backs but casting distance is not one of them.

Regards

Randy.. Gill City ... Just want to say I have had a blast with these TM's ... I also use fly rods but it seems the TM's ... 1/64 oz. ... just has more cast for cast action ... (But I won't quit my fly rods) they are better at times ...

I can just walk and jig around my dock and pick up 3 or 4 I really like the Bison color ... I switched to a white today and caught three Bass on a TM ... one went 1.5 pounds ... Now talking about fun ... with a 40 year old Fenwick Black Hawk 1st addition Graphite UL 5' 8" Rod ... Had a blast !!! I can't get any work done in the shop now ... I work 15 min's and take a 45 min fishing break ... But on the other hand .. That might not be bad ... ;)<'TK><

agelesssone
05-31-2013, 06:19 AM
tk, I think you are working too long. Downscale that work break to 10 minutes and upsize the fishing break!

TroutFiend
05-31-2013, 07:27 AM
I can see TK's gears turning now. Trout Magnet "check", Crappie Magnet "check", Striper Magnet? Hmmm possibility....

Alphahawk
05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Randy.. Gill City ... Just want to say I have had a blast with these TM's ... I also use fly rods but it seems the TM's ... 1/64 oz. ... just has more cast for cast action ... (But I won't quit my fly rods) they are better at times ...

I can just walk and jig around my dock and pick up 3 or 4 I really like the Bison color ... I switched to a white today and caught three Bass on a TM ... one went 1.5 pounds ... Now talking about fun ... with a 40 year old Fenwick Black Hawk 1st addition Graphite UL 5' 8" Rod ... Had a blast !!! I can't get any work done in the shop now ... I work 15 min's and take a 45 min fishing break ... But on the other hand .. That might not be bad ... ;)<'TK><

Yep....getting those large mouth on that rig is a hoot. You know those Fenwick Blackhawks are in demand and are very hard to find. A lot of rod builders are looking for those to redo and sell....it was a very popular rod.

Regards

Rover1966
05-31-2013, 11:24 AM
I used 8lbs line with Crappie Mags and had a great time.

robhal11
05-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Caught this on Monday, creek in Wilson county, at a friends farm. Chunky loved the trout mag on that 2 pound test. Need to straighten my hat.

tkwalker
05-31-2013, 11:53 PM
Caught this on Monday, creek in Wilson county, at a friends farm. Chunky loved the trout mag on that 2 pound test. Need to straighten my hat.

Now that had to a to be major FUN !!! <"TK>< :eek:

nomad60
06-01-2013, 06:38 AM
I work 15 min's and take a 45 min fishing break;)<'TK><

That's what I call time management :)

crappiecrazy
06-01-2013, 09:44 PM

Good picture with pretty creek in the background!

Dakota
06-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Rob what happen did that tail slap your hat sideways??LOL. Talk to ya later..Caught this on Monday, creek in Wilson county, at a friends farm. Chunky loved the trout mag on that 2 pound test. Need to straighten my hat.

tkwalker
06-03-2013, 02:31 AM
I can see TK's gears turning now. Trout Magnet "check", Crappie Magnet "check", Striper Magnet? Hmmm possibility....

I almost dedicated a life time to stripers after I stopped Bass tourney fishing in the 70's and 80's ... When you are a guide there is a lot of pressure on you ..

I have caught more than my share of 50 plus pounds of Rocks .. My personal best is 62 pounds ... short of the State record (twice) held by my Friend Ralph Hollis Dallas ... ...

The wife and I are starting out on a new quest ... The fish we like to eat ... Gills and Walleyes/Saugers ... I sold my guide boat in 2007 .. and reworked a Insurance salvaged Walleye boat built for two in 2012 ...

After selling our Cabin on the Caney at Lancaster in 2011 we are going to start fishing the lakes and rivers in Tennessee and may venture South in to Al, La, and Fla ...

So as far as Striper's and Bass ... Done that and Have the Tee Shirts and Trophy's and receipts $$$ for all of the expense ... But it is cheaper than drag racing !!! ...

PS... My 15.5 foot original Standard River Hawk with live well ../and trailer with a Johnson 15 HP electric Start with custom seats and (Stainless lower unit guard , Cabela's $179.00) will be coming up for sell soon .... <'TK>< :)

robhal11
06-03-2013, 09:43 AM
John, like to have busted my butt when I got down in the creek so I didn't lose her. Really didn't want to break the line off and have the hook left in her mouth.