PDA

View Full Version : Crawfish

NavyVet
05-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know of a place to buy small crawfish for bait or a good place to catch them. I would rather buy them do to a busy schedule if possible.

Somewhere near Columbia, or between Nashville and Columbia.

Thanks

Travis C.
05-30-2013, 08:53 AM
The only place I knew to buy closed down a year or so ago.

If you catch them make sure you know where you're at.

Amphibians and crayfish species shall not be sold or purchased for bait. Amphibians and crayfish shall not be imported into Tennessee or exported from Tennessee by anyone for bait. The harvest, use, and possession of crayfish is prohibited in the following streams, in all of their tributaries, and on all adjacent banks:

Mill Creek in Davidson and Williamson counties
East Fork Stones River in Cannon County
Hurricane Creek in Cumberland, Fentress, Overton, and Putnam counties
Roaring Paunch Creek in Scott County
South Chickamauga Creek in Hamilton County
Caney Fork River in Cumberland County
Robinson Creek, Beason Creek (upstream of confluence of North Fork and South Fork), and Owl Creek (upstream of Highway 142) in Hardin and McNairy counties
Flint River in Lincoln County

Crayfish harvested from the following streams and their tributaries shall not be possessed away from the watershed from which they were harvested:

French Broad River and its tributaries
Holston River and its tributaries
Clinch River and its tributaries

NavyVet
05-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Wow I had no idea of that, as a kid we would catch them out of the Duck River and use them. Planning on wadding Fountain Creek here in Columbia and trying to use live crawfish for bait.

Alphahawk
05-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I live in Columbia and I have not heard of any place around that sells them. The only time I see them for sale is down at Pickwick in very early spring when the white bass run. Signs will be all up and down the road selling them.

Regards

NavyVet
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks Alpha, I figured if Franks didn't have them here locally I would be catching them.

ditz1
05-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I tie my own and they do work well. The advantage is they last a long time without stinking and they are EZ to carry to remote spots. :D.....I live in Columbia too.