PDA

View Full Version : Pickwick-KY Lake 5-29-2013

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Headed to Pickwick Dam to try for some Gills. Started out in Pickwick Lake. I caught ten large mouth...all just like the one in the pic. Had a real bad crosswind on the lake and there were no Gills there so went down below dam next to the lock. That was pretty much the first time in about 5 or 6 weeks that the water had gone down below the road bed. I was hoping to get on some good Gills...and did....but did not expect the crappie to be stacked in there like cord wood. I couldn't get under them....above them...or around them. They filled that whole area. Most of them were in same year class...12 inches with thick shoulders. I don't know if they had spawned or not. They were not in spawning colors and were very chunky fish. I was just surprised to find them still in there. I caught over 50 of them and in between catching those was able to get about 50...or little more of 8 inch male Gills. They showed no signs of having fanned a bed. I caught very few females. I caught the one Smallie that went about 2 to maybe close to 3 pounds. It was a fighter and did not want to come to the net. Caught 5 of the shorter Smallies. The one fish had it's tail worn down a lot. Don't know if it had been on bed or not...never seen one wore down like that from bedding. I did not take a cooler as I wasn't expecting those crappie. Thought about going back tomorrow but strong possibilities of storms there and I could never get up that hill quick enough if a pop up came...can't do the lightning. For those reading that are close to Pickwick the crappie are in there....for how long I don't know....but tomorrow would be a good time to get them. The pics are not too good. Have new sunglasses and they are shaded pretty good so can hardly see screen...if I take them off couldn't even see camera....LOL.

Regards

white95v6
05-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Awsome trip!

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Great job! I wish I lived closer to Pickwick! I love fishing there.

TroutFiend
05-29-2013, 10:16 PM
That's a good time right there. In the last pic, what jig head are you using on the TM?

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 10:25 PM
That's a good time right there. In the last pic, what jig head are you using on the TM?

That is a 1/32 head I had made with a #10 hook. I put it on to try to get under the crappie...it didn't work...LOL. They were all through the water column. I cant find any 1/16 or 1/8 with a # 8 or #10 hook. If you know where I might get some would like to hear about it. I used up the tungsten Wooly Bugs I had and the company that made them went under.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Great job! I wish I lived closer to Pickwick! I love fishing there.

Yeah it is a neat place. Meant to tell you that in the parking lot....where we park to go to the point.....across from there is an Osprey nest in a power line tower. For over a month now the few times I have been down there are 2 or 3 photographers set up there with their telephoto lenses.....and they stay there a long time. I guess waiting for the birds to hatch.

Regards

MNfisher
05-30-2013, 04:28 AM
Yeah it is a neat place. Meant to tell you that in the parking lot....where we park to go to the point.....across from there is an Osprey nest in a power line tower. For over a month now the few times I have been down there are 2 or 3 photographers set up there with their telephoto lenses.....and they stay there a long time. I guess waiting for the birds to hatch.

Regards

Cool!!

tsuggs
05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Sounds like I need to go visit the folks in Ramer and drive over there.

Alphahawk
05-31-2013, 07:56 AM
Sounds like I need to go visit the folks in Ramer and drive over there.

I will be back there Monday.....if the weather forecast holds up. Don't know how long those crappie will be up in there but will keep you posted.

Regards

nomad60
05-31-2013, 08:40 AM
That's a heck of a day you had out there, Alpha. I can only imagine the fight that smallie gave you on 2# line.

Transplanted Sportsman
05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Good deal Alpha!!, looks you got into them petty good this time!! (again) Lol!!, that fat smallie sure has a raw tail, it looks like a third or thier normal size!!, I like those gills with a hump, man do they make a good filet!!

Alphahawk
05-31-2013, 09:40 PM
I have a nephew who says he has seen Smallies rub their tail raw from fanning a bed. But I think the spawn was over for them below the dam.

Regards