PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my weekend fishing extravaganza!

geckel
05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
My wife took the kids to Mississippi for the rest of the week which means...I get to fish again!!!....and I just bought my first bass boat!!!! I am pumped up, geared up, and ready to do this. I am taking the boat on it's maiden voyage with a friend of mine this Saturday and my dad on Sunday. The question is where too? My friend and I have been talking about big strippers for a while and I was thinking that the Cumberland river might be a good choice for Saturday (I've never been to the Cumberland). For Sunday I was thinking maybe Dale Hollow for smallmouth with my dad. But to be honest I have no idea how the bite is in these places right now. I was hoping maybe some of you guys could offer some info or suggestions. I don't get this kind of opportunity to drop a line very often anymore and would love to have some success. Any and all advice appreciated.

I'm off this Friday too and plan to kayak the Caney from the damn to Betty's. If any of you guys want to meet up then let me know.

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm off this Friday too and plan to kayak the Caney from the damn to Betty's. If any of you guys want to meet up then let me know.

Be careful! There will be 2 generators pushing lots of water most of the day!

Travis C.
05-29-2013, 08:46 PM
My friend and I have been talking about big strippers for a while

I guess they need to make a living too... :D

All seriousness, there should be good striper fishing between 109 bridge and Cordell Dam (I know there is a big expanse of water there but not gonna give away too much here). Reports have been good below Cheatham as well.

As of a couple weekends ago the smallmouth bite on Dale was tough. The fish were in a mid April pattern and I even seen a largemouth off of Willow Grove dock fanning a bed.

Percy has had really good reports on fishing and who the heck knows about the Caney this year.

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
My nephew was at Dale Hollow this past Sunday and the Smallie bite was good. But you know how that goes....should have been here yesterday....LOL.

Regards

geckel
05-29-2013, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=Travis C.;34239]I guess they need to make a living too... :D

Haha you got me on that one!

Hmmm...Dale Hollow may be out then. I might be inclined to go JPP. This is some solid info here so keep it coming.

geckel
05-29-2013, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Alphahawk;34241]My nephew was at Dale Hollow this past Sunday and the Smallie bite was good. But you know how that goes....should have been here yesterday....LOL.

Did he mention any details? Deep or shore line? Live bait or artificial? I really want to take my dad there because it is just a beautiful lake but not if it means getting skunked.

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Alphahawk;34241]My nephew was at Dale Hollow this past Sunday and the Smallie bite was good. But you know how that goes....should have been here yesterday....LOL.

Did he mention any details? Deep or shore line? Live bait or artificial? I really want to take my dad there because it is just a beautiful lake but not if it means getting skunked.

No I didn't get into the details. He was a full time guide there up until a couple of years ago. The reason he went Sunday was all his guide buddies told him the bite was on.....and that was with fighting the pleasure boaters.

Regards

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 09:39 PM
I would call him but he is in bed by 7:30...LOL. He just goes to bed early and gets up very early.

Regards