PDA

View Full Version : Morel Mushrooms!

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 05:15 PM
I went back to MN last weekend for a bachelor party. We went camping and went on an afternoon mushroom hunt! In 2 1/2 hours we found 204 delicious mushrooms! Man are they GOOD!!!!

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Yes they are. I think I told you they were all over my moms farm....browntrouts brother is very good at finding them.

Regards

Reel Tune
05-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Now that's a mess. When I lived in Indiana I would hunt them from about the 2nd week of April until about the 2nd week of May, but never found that many at once. It was usually 15-30 per day. I would be stalking a Turkey with a bow and get distracted and start picking up mushrooms during the stalk.

Jeremy

FloatNFish
06-03-2013, 03:20 PM
There is nothing in this world like morels...
I used to hunt them with my grandfather in Indiana. We would take one bag for mushrooms and one bag for all the golf balls that I had hit into the woods. He could spot those things from a mile away. He always said he thought they were most concentrated around old Elm trees.

-Alex

Travis C.
06-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Those look awesome.

I have never been able to find them around here. The only one I can ever find is Chicken of the Woods.

Have you ever tried looking here in TN?

MNfisher
06-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Yes, dead elm trees is where I find 85% of them. I have not found any in TN yet, but haven't really tried. In MN there are dead elm trees EVERYWHERE. At least in the Metro area. I haven't noticed them here. So i don't know where to look here.

Here is pic from my return trip this past weekend. I just found 2 hrs to get out. My friend and I found over a hundred, here is my share! My brother-in-law and I ate them all in one sitting:D

Travis I am interested in the "Chicken of the woods". How delicious are they?

Travis C.
06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Travis I am interested in the "Chicken of the woods". How delicious are they?

I have never been comfortable enough to pick and then eat the wild mushrooms but when I have tried to find morels those were all I ever found.

It's interesting enough to me that one day I will finally throw some in an omelet.