PDA

View Full Version : DR. AlphaHawk .. <'TK><

tkwalker
05-29-2013, 01:41 AM
I invited Randy over this afternoon to demonstrate the TM and CM in my pond ... Even after their daily feeding (Stocked Gills) They came to the mags like a cat coming to a freshly opened can of tuna !!!

I burnt Some burgers and dogs on the Grill and talked Fishing and old mutual acquaintances in the Gallatin Area ...

Randy and I caught about 200 pounds of Gills in our minds while talking in my man cave/shop ... drinking diet coke ...And Scotch respectively for myself :eek:

Folks let me say DR. Alpha Hawk is real and Genuine ...what you read is what you get... one of the nicest Gentlemen That I have ever met ...

So if you need true no BS about Gill Fishing ..Randy Is the man and from now own .... everyone needs to address him as .. Dr. Alpha Hawk; He has a PHD in Piscatorial Paraphernalia.. <'TK>< :)

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 05:04 AM
Glad you got to chat with him! Randy is a great guy and knows his stuff. We all have a lot of respect for you DR. Alpha.

browntrout
05-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks TK, now his head will be so big that I won't be able to fit him in my little Riverhawk. I can say first hand he sure loves fishing and has the patience of Job.

Roy

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for you comments TK. It was a pleasure meeting your wife and visiting with you and seeing your shop.....and thanks for the burgers too....very good. No need to worry about my head getting too big....fishing will humble you....and so far this spring fishing for Gills has humbled me. For those that have not seen TK's shop...if you like old motors and boating...fishing stuff...you need to check it out. Saw some river charts that his dad had from way back....pretty neat stuff. Of course the job he does on restoring motors is first rate. TK has some neat scrap books from 40 years...or more....that had pics of several people I knew. I also found out that on my attempt several years back to get a Striper below Cordell Hull that I had brought "a knife to a gun fight"....LOL. Can't get over the size gear he used while guiding for those....I was way under equipped. I hope you can use the TM's to get some good Gills. Headed to Pickwick even though the wind is going to blow.

Regards

Headhunter
05-29-2013, 08:57 AM
I am just not sold on "magnets". Flyrod out fishes them in my experience. I have cleaned well over 400 big bluegills out of priest this year. Crickets are number 1, worms, then flyrod. People fishing with me have told me several times in the last couple years that I would quit using crickets when I saw them fishing with magnets (one was a power bait fan) but all of them could not even come close to crickets and could not keep up with the fly rod either (I tie my own and when it is late in the day use popping bugs) but nothing beats a cricket in my opinion. These fish are aggresive and can be caught occasionally on a bare hook, but the magnets don't hold up in my opinion. Great bait for sure but I will stick with what works best. Saturday before last a friend and myself had over 100 in the boat in just over 3 hours, and my 79 year dad and myself had 91 in under 3 hours on another day.

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 09:08 AM
I have yet to be outfished by live bait when using a TM. Most if the time for me it considerably outfishes the live bait. Just my experiences though.

Travis C.
05-29-2013, 09:23 AM
I am just not sold on "magnets". Flyrod out fishes them in my experience. I have cleaned well over 400 big bluegills out of priest this year. Crickets are number 1, worms, then flyrod. People fishing with me have told me several times in the last couple years that I would quit using crickets when I saw them fishing with magnets (one was a power bait fan) but all of them could not even come close to crickets and could not keep up with the fly rod either (I tie my own and when it is late in the day use popping bugs) but nothing beats a cricket in my opinion. These fish are aggresive and can be caught occasionally on a bare hook, but the magnets don't hold up in my opinion. Great bait for sure but I will stick with what works best. Saturday before last a friend and myself had over 100 in the boat in just over 3 hours, and my 79 year dad and myself had 91 in under 3 hours on another day.

Fly rod bluegill is my favorite as well. The TM shines in my experiences during off peak times of the year for bluegill once they move out deeper but catches everything else in the process.

It's just another tool in the tool box for me and everybody has their preferences as to what works. Just for fairness sake with TM's someone who is just fishing them will catch some fish but to truly see the numbers on them they need to be using 2lb line with a 2lb fluorocarbon leader like the setup is meant for. That is when it's ridiculous.

Travis C.
05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
TK's shop is a pretty neat place. You should put that Elto on your kayak Alpha. :D

Headhunter
05-29-2013, 10:51 AM
MNFisher, I would bet money I can catch more on a cricket when bluegill are on bed. Like I said, several have tried (good fishermen to, been fishing as long as I have) and it didn't take long for all of them to ask if they could fish with the crickets I had and of course they were welcome to. My friend the other day said he did not know someone could put a cricket on a hook that fast when I was putting them on. All of the magnet guys who fished with me (and the one guy who swore up and down that the small gulp baits would outfish live bait) were catching 1 bluegill to my 5 or 6.

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 11:21 AM
MNFisher, I would bet money I can catch more on a cricket when bluegill are on bed. Like I said, several have tried (good fishermen to, been fishing as long as I have) and it didn't take long for all of them to ask if they could fish with the crickets I had and of course they were welcome to. My friend the other day said he did not know someone could put a cricket on a hook that fast when I was putting them on. All of the magnet guys who fished with me (and the one guy who swore up and down that the small gulp baits would outfish live bait) were catching 1 bluegill to my 5 or 6.

You probably can, I was just referring to my experiences. Personally I am not a fan of using crickets, they sure catch fish, but I am not a fan of putting a new cricket on the hook every fish. I am glad they are working well for you though!

Most of my experiences out fishing live bait with a TM have been spring before spawn or in the late summer and fall. Bedding gills may be different, but as of late they have been destroying my bait!

browntrout
05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Where I went to Elementary school we had a big long pee trough in the boys bathroom and I could pee further acroos that trough than anyone. I was the best pisser that the school had ever seen. I could piss so good that the others just quit competing with me. I sure did "piss" a bunch of people off.

Roy

TroutFiend
05-29-2013, 03:34 PM
Where I went to Elementary school we had a big long pee trough in the boys bathroom and I could pee further acroos that trough than anyone. I was the best pisser that the school had ever seen. I could piss so good that the others just quit competing with me. I sure did "piss" a bunch of people off.

Roy

TroutFiend
05-29-2013, 03:35 PM

Roy

Where's that "like" button at?

tsuggs
05-29-2013, 05:11 PM
now thats comedy;)

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 05:12 PM

Roy

Well played. I really did not mean to start a competition and didn't mean to pull this thread from acknowledging Randy and TK. No more challenges on this end;)

Headhunter
05-29-2013, 05:25 PM
sorry, I just have gotten tired of all the magnet hype when (in my personal experience, and I have fished with magnets quite a bit and watched many fish with magnets for many types of fish) it is a good bait but far from a great bait.
sorry. It has a place and time, I have seen hatchery trout go crazy over a magnet, but this year, the guys throwing magnets ended up bumming salmon eggs or trying to figure out how to fish a bead head fly with their spinning rod everytime I fished for hatchery trout. In years past I have seen trout go crazy over the magnet, but not this year.

Alphahawk
05-29-2013, 05:31 PM
First I am not God's gift to Gill fishing. The Trout Magnet has worked very well for me. I have had so many days of catching well over a hundred I have lost count....heck have probably had days where I caught several hundred. The point is we all use what works for us. Headhunter I am glad you have and are having great success with crickets.....I fished crickets for years and had success with them also. When you have posted your reports I have commented in the positive. I also have many days of catching 100 trout with the TM....and needless to say crappie. I don't think I ever asked you to even try a Trout Magnet. There are thousands and thousands of satisfied TM users. If it don't work for you don't use it....I'm not going to fish with something that doesn't work....so I don't understand the negativity you have about the people who have success with a lure. Forums...IMHO...are knowledge libraries. This forum is one of the best around for that. Now I will finish what I wanted to say about my visit with TK that I didn't say this morning as I was in a hurry to get to Pickwick. TK is a multi specie guy. He has a great knowledge base about.....bass....trout....walleye....Gills....cra ppie and I am sure other specie as well. That was the first time I had really talked fishing with him and I was thinking that he was only a Striper guy....man was I wrong. I saw what I guess to be an 16 foot jigging rod for crappie in his building....two Hawger Poles. He showed me a custom made musky rod...and he loves the Gills. It is a knowledge base I hope to tap into more. TK and wife are going to start fishing for walleyes and Gills next week...I wish them luck. Oh...his wife can talk fishing with the best of us too.....LOL.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
05-29-2013, 06:49 PM

Roy

Your being 18 in elementary school had to be an unfair advantage. :D

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
your being 18 in elementary school had to be an unfair advantage. :d

hahahaha!

browntrout
05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Your being 18 in elementary school had to be an unfair advantage. :D

But I was in the advanced class, thank you!!!

Roy

StriperFan
05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
But I was in the advanced class, thank you!!!

Roy

The "advanced class" was so elite it only took a short bus to get em all there.

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 09:35 PM
the "advanced class" was so elite it only took a short bus to get em all there.

lol!!

tnpondmanager
05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Here's my take on the debate (the fishing one). I've never used a trout magnet, but I do have a couple other jigs I've caught many good bluegill with, specifically the Crappie Slider on a 1/32 oz. jig head (favorite) and the Gulp 1" minnow on a 1/64 oz. jig head (second-favorite). In the right situation, I can catch a lot of bluegill on either one of these, probably about as many as a good angler can on the magnet in those situations, especially smaller bluegill, 9" or less.

But day in and day out, pond to lake to river, I can catch four bluegill on live bait to every one on a lure, and this is even more true when it comes to the biggest fish. My most recent guide clients fished with me for two days after two days of fishing Kentucky Lake for bluegill. They caught over 100 bluegill their second day at Kentucky Lake, all on a 1/16 oz. plastic-bodied jig with split-rubber legs; the biggest one was a little over 9", and, according to the anglers, about eight ounces. They did manage to catch a lot of nice bluegill on that same jig on one of the ponds I took them to; however, at my best pond, they caught exactly zero bluegill on lures of any kind (they also tried the Crappie Slider), whereas they caught thirty monstrous bluegill and shellcracker in four hours of fishing with live redworms.

browntrout
05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Ok I am going to use the Trout Magnet, tipped with a cricket, and a red worm dangling from the crickets mouth. Better yet I will throw an Alabama rig with a trout magnet, cricket, red worm, and a grasshopper. I am finally figuring out fishing!!

Roy

tkwalker
05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Ok I am going to use the Trout Magnet, tipped with a cricket, and a red worm dangling from the crickets mouth. Better yet I will throw an Alabama rig with a trout magnet, cricket, red worm, and a grasshopper. I am finally figuring out fishing!!

Roy

Boy !!! That will "PISS" those Gills off :eek:!!!!! LOLLOLOLLL <'TK><:)

MNfisher
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM

Roy

Don't forget the crappie slider on that A-rig!

tnpondmanager
05-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Might be easier just to hit the fish over the head with an anvil...Although Alabama rigs weigh just about as much as an anvil anyway from what I'm told.