PDA

View Full Version : Cheatham Dam Poacher's Trial???

rodholder
05-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Any confirmation on when the poachers caught below Cheatham Dam will go to trial?? I think Cape Taylor of TWRA said it will be tomorrow, May 29th.:confused:

TNBronzeback
05-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I think i seen Doug M. mention on facebook it was tommorrow.

rodholder
05-29-2013, 02:14 PM
From Doug Markum's Facebook Page:

Two Updates of Interest---White Bass Poacher Case/Corps of Engineers And Its Next Stop At Cheatham

DOUG NOTE: I have spent most of this day in Cheatham County. I love Cheatham County, but today wasn't one of those enjoy the beauty and the fishing kind of days.

First, I went to the hearing for the 4 men accused of keeping 360 white bass over the limit in March. I thought today would be the day we... would get a punishment, but it was not. The case got continued one more time until June 26th. The defendants' lawyer (one lawyer for all four) asked the judge for a June date so that he could have an interpreter explain the plea options they have. I'm not sure whey a couple of the folks that came into the courtroom with them--whose English was probably as good as mine--would not suffice. All four men were in court. I think they will probably take a plea next month, but it is the last time this case can be continued, according to one of the wildlife officers handling the case. The defendants can still ask for a trial, I think, but no more let's keep thinking about it dates after June 26. Mike Organ of the Tennessean was there today and will report on it some. He is very interested in keeping us all up on this case and I appreciate him for his interest.

Second, I was going to try and video the Corps placing buoys below Cheatham Dam today. But, an Ingram Barge was taking hours to lock through and I finally left with the Corps barge sitting about a half mile form the dam with restriction buoys on deck. I got word from a VERY good source today that the Corps will be laying down the buoys until it is told to cease and desist. Never mind his is costing many thousands of dollars and, unless President Obama vetoes this, will have been all a great waste of manpower and money. I do want to correct myself. I have been told a pocket veto is not a presidential option in this case. So, Obama can either publicly veto this Freedom To Fish Act or it will become law on Saturday. This is just pure insanity on the part of the Corps leadership.

That's it. I'll keep you posted on both issues. I did talk to a guide who fishes for stripers below Cheatham and he had a really good day on Tuesday below the dam. Also, the Corps, or a contractor for the Corps, is putting more riprap on the powerhosue side (Dickson County side) of the dam. Pretty noise down there right now.