PDA

View Full Version : Creek X 5-27-2013

Alphahawk
05-27-2013, 05:25 PM
My son and I headed out to a creek this morning to spend time together and hopefully catch some fish. We got up into the creek and I found a bed of Shell Crackers that was about 50 yards long and 5 or 6 yards wide. It held hundreds of fish and had many on it well over the 12 inch mark.....only problem they would not cooperate. You could see them hit the Trout Magnet and nudge it out of the bed....they would not mouth the bait. The smaller ones however would inhale the bait. We caught well over a hundred fish each today. The Shell Crackers were all about 7 inches...colored up really nice and full of fight. Found a Gill bed on opposite side of creek from Shell Crackers. The Gills were only around 7 inches but they put up a tussle and you can tell by looking at them they will be stump heads next year....chunky and a nice girth. We saw hawks....white cranes...beavers at work...a couple of ospreys....and a bat feeding in the middle of the day. Today was what kayaking is all about for me...seeing new places and exploring them with my son.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
My son and I headed out to a creek this morning to spend time together and hopefully catch some fish. We got up into the creek and I found a bed of Shell Crackers that was about 50 yards long and 5 or 6 yards wide. It held hundreds of fish and had many on it well over the 12 inch mark.....only problem they would not cooperate. You could see them hit the Trout Magnet and nudge it out of the bed....they would not mouth the bait. The smaller ones however would inhale the bait. We caught well over a hundred fish each today. The Shell Crackers were all about 7 inches...colored up really nice and full of fight. Found a Gill bed on opposite side of creek from Shell Crackers. The Gills were only around 7 inches but they put up a tussle and you can tell by looking at them they will be stump heads next year....chunky and a nice girth. We saw hawks....white cranes...beavers at work...a couple of ospreys....and a bat feeding in the middle of the day. Today was what kayaking is all about for me...seeing new places and exploring them with my son.

Regards

They do not have to be large to have fun. I fished from the shore at OH this morning. Did not count, however, had some that went over 3 inches, maybe 4 inches and a bunch of small ones. :)

TroutFiend
05-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Same here... Hit the creek with my 3 sons today and caught tons of small gills only. Oh well, was a great day for sure to be out wadin.

Travis C.
05-27-2013, 07:26 PM
Glad you had a good trip with your son. Did the wind get you too bad?

MNfisher
05-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a perfect day Alpha! Awesome!

Alphahawk
05-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Glad you had a good trip with your son. Did the wind get you too bad?

Not where we were at.....we were under the wind so to speak. The trees were blocking it.

Regards

bd-
05-27-2013, 09:18 PM
I fished Old Hickory this afternoon and caught a bunch of crappie on the flyrod. I found a few spots where bluegill were on the beds, but the ones I found were small too.

I think everything on Old Hickory is running about a month behind. Usually the crappie are done by now but they're still up shallow in big numbers. Meanwhile the only bluegill on bed are piddly ones. I bet we see the bigger bluegill and shellcrackers on bed on Old Hickory around the full moon in June.

bd

Alphahawk
05-27-2013, 09:22 PM
I fished Old Hickory this afternoon and caught a bunch of crappie on the flyrod. I found a few spots where bluegill were on the beds, but the ones I found were small too.

I think everything on Old Hickory is running about a month behind. Usually the crappie are done by now but they're still up shallow in big numbers. Meanwhile the only bluegill on bed are piddly ones. I bet we see the bigger bluegill and shellcrackers on bed on Old Hickory around the full moon in June.

bd

I think you are right...and am really hoping you are right as that will mean lots of great fishing ahead....so far it has not been a normal spring of catching big Gills for me.

Regards

Danocaster
05-27-2013, 09:39 PM
sounds like a great time , Alpha !! And a great day to be outside fishing !!

And probably much like you did - I floated in my Ride 115 throwing TMs / CMs - (except I was running down the Harpeth)

mostly catching small stuff and I learned a HARD lesson about 2 lb test :

Ya gotta use a net.

A 2.5-3 lb smallie broke my line at the last second - just as I tried to pull him in the boat without lipping him and he gave one last big squirm. I HAD him - or so I thought

But I just love a tight line - so even small ones are still fun :D

Alphahawk
05-27-2013, 09:56 PM
sounds like a great time , Alpha !! And a great day to be outside fishing !!

And probably much like you did - I floated in my Ride 115 throwing TMs / CMs - (except I was running down the Harpeth)

mostly catching small stuff and I learned a HARD lesson about 2 lb test :

Ya gotta use a net.

A 2.5-3 lb smallie broke my line at the last second - just as I tried to pull him in the boat without lipping him and he gave one last big squirm. I HAD him - or so I thought

But I just love a tight line - so even small ones are still fun :D

Yep....didn't take me long to heed the advice of the owner of Trout Magnet...."Using 2# test line, net everything". I lost a few fish until I took that advice. You did notice that 7 inch Gill in a net...LOL.

Regards

MNfisher
05-27-2013, 11:11 PM
I have lost several nice fish due to not using a net with 2 lb test.