PDA

View Full Version : Horse Weed Worms ???

TomD
05-25-2013, 04:34 PM
When I was a kid (too many years ago) we would drive down a country road or an old dirt road in Koontz Lake region of Indiana, it I remember right over in the Valpo / Hobart neck of the wood and the roads would have patches of what we called Horseweed. Its about 6-8' tall thumb diameter leafy segmented (8-10" segs) plants that grew in big patchs everywhere throughout the countryside.

Along the length of the stalk would be a small hole usually only one in a segment and the good ones had 3 or 4 holed segments. We would cut it about 6" above and below the hole and toss the segments in a bucket and keep it up till the bucket was full maybe 30 minutes. Each hole meant one horse weed worm. Out in the boat you'd the split the segment with your pocket knife, there's the worm. Put him on the hook, toss the split segment, Set a pole at 6' maybe another at 8'

Ive never found a worm in what I think is the same weed around middle Tn. The weed is scarce and the worms more so. Im thinking since the weed killers and insecticides maybe these little guys are a thing of my childhood.

These guys were the hottest bluegill / crappie bait Ive ever seen. A cane pole and bobber and we'd tear them up.Is anyone familiar with this bait around this neck of the woods (Middle Tn)?

Alphahawk
05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
My mom had a farm north of Gallatin...at Oak Grove. We used horse weed worms all the time....back in 1970. They are an excellent fish bait. I have not looked for those in years so I can't answer your question if they are still around but I think they are.

Regards

TomD
05-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Fhe little horse weed Ive seen around the Woodbury - Murfreesboro area never yielded any worms. Im may have to look around a little more there may be some pockets of them I just haven't made it a point to seek them out.

Saltwaterwalt
05-27-2013, 08:42 AM
I'd like to see a picture of a horseweed worm if anyone has one :)

TSprint1
05-27-2013, 03:02 PM
I used to use them as a kid also. In the hot summer we would collect them and catch gigantic (to me) bluegills in Womack Lake - between McMinnville and Manchester. The worm "pods" would be located in mature Ragweeds. Cut out the pods, put them in a bucket and go fishing. Here is the best description of using/finding them that I have seen:

http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/secret-live-survival-fishing-bait/

I have found a few of them here on our farm in Mt Juliet but they are relatively few and far between.:)

Saltwaterwalt
05-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks! I will pass this on to my son and see if he can tie up a fly pattern to look like these little guys.

TomD
05-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks! I will pass this on to my son and see if he can tie up a fly pattern to look like these little guys.

Great idea if I can find a picture of one I might try the same thing.

TomD
05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
http://willowhavenoutdoor.com/general-survival/secret-live-survival-fishing-bait/

I have found a few of them here on our farm in Mt Juliet but they are relatively few and far between.:)

Great link. These are the guys Im asking about. I think between mowing by the counties and pesticides these little guys may be heading for extinction. Im always on the look out.

Travis C.
05-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Dad was talking about these the other day. That find horse weed with a knot in it and cut the knot open to get the worms.

Another worm option is the Catalpa trees are blooming around here but having noticed anything eating on the leaves yet. Those worms are about as good as you can get for catfishing but I am sure more will eat them.

jimj3561
05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Since we're on the topic...what about your standard run of the mill grub? How does that fish? The kind that are in the grass that moles love to eat?

creekcrappie
05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Dad was talking about these the other day. That find horse weed with a knot in it and cut the knot open to get the worms.

Another worm option is the Catalpa trees are blooming around here but having noticed anything eating on the leaves yet. Those worms are about as good as you can get for catfishing but I am sure more will eat them.

I have looked everywhere for catapult trees and worm, but I have not even found a tree yet.

TomD
05-28-2013, 09:25 PM
On the subject of worms

Those bag worms the nests in the trees with a bazillian worms inside. Ive not been bothered with them yet this summer. I hate the suckers :confused:

Grubs I've used for crappie and blue gill and usually did good with them.

BIGBEN
05-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Ive got 2 of the catalpha trees in my yard didn't have many worms last year so they probably will be covered up with them this year.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2