PDA

View Full Version : Trout and Crappie magnets: how do you use them?

Rover1966
05-23-2013, 04:17 AM
I'm late to the party where TM and CM's are concerned. What are some of the preferred ways to use them?

aero320
05-23-2013, 11:20 AM
I am new to the Trout Magnets but have been using Crappie Magnets for a number of years. I tie them on with a 1/4 oz. finesse sinker about 8" above the jig and tip them with a minnow. Crappie Nibbles will help if you cannot get minnows. Works well for crappie, white bass and I occasionally catch catfish. Last year I caught a 24 lb. flathead cat at Woods at about 24 feet deep. Usually use 8 pound line.

Cerealkiller
05-24-2013, 09:33 AM
If you go to the troutmagnet.com site, click on experts column at the top, you will see a tab for video training at the top of the page. There are SEVERAL good, short videos on how to use it that would probably surpass any explanantion you could get on here.

Alphahawk
05-24-2013, 11:10 AM
If you go to the troutmagnet.com site, click on experts column at the top, you will see a tab for video training at the top of the page. There are SEVERAL good, short videos on how to use it that would probably surpass any explanantion you could get on here.

Thats a great idea. I would say to first get some good 2# test line. A lot try to fish these lures with 6# test and unless you are vertical jigging them that won't get it done....you just can't cast a 1/64 with that size line. You can PM me if you need some more tips after watching the videos.

Regards

aero320
05-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Alpha is exactly right. I already had a small Wally Marshall spinning reel and bought a cheap Shakespeare spinning rod. Ordered Spiderwire 2# fluorocarbon line. You will need the light line in order to cast the lures.

Rover1966
05-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys